How much prime to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need a bit of reassurance with switching to Prime!

I've been using aqueon water conditioner since I stocked my tank in mid December and am finally ready to make the move. I do 25% pwc weekly and My tank is 26g. I also change the water with an aqueon water changer unit.

Here's what I'm thinking.... Since the Prime bottle indicates 1 capful for 50 gallons I'm figuring I should treat the whole 26 gallons with with a half capful, after the water is siphoned out / prior to filling with new water from faucet. Sound about right?

I also have a 5gallon quarantine tank going and am wondering how much to treat when changing that water out weekly since a 1/4 capful is too much (treats 12.5 gallons) and that amount is even just hard to measure with the swirling threads in the cap. I've heard 1 drop of prime treats 1 gallon of new water. Is that right? If so, since the prime bottle does not come with a dropper will anyone do or is there a specific size dropper I should look for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

For you 26g that's spot on and for your 5g try to get as close as you can if you go over prime is perfectly safe.-

I see from your profile you are a dad. You must have some medicine syringes in the cabinet you keep your kid's meds in, no? You can use one of them, just rinse it real good first.

blert said:
I see from your profile you are a dad. You must have some medicine syringes in there cabinet you keep your kids meds in, no? You can use one of them, just rinse it real good first.

Indeed we have syringes for child Meds. So it's true then - 1 drop of prime treats 1 gallon of water?

Ponch said:
Indeed we have syringes for child Meds. So it's true then - 1 drop of prime treats 1 gallon of water?

I just checked and I get about 16 drops per ML so I would dose two drops per gallon. Maybe three if you water has a high level of chlorine/chloramine.

blert said:
I just checked and I get about 16 drops per ML so I would dose two drops per gallon. Maybe three if you water has a high level of chlorine/chloramine.

Sounds good - thanks!

cheeky_monkey said:
I've always followed 2 drops per gallon :)

Hard to imagine so little prime can handle so much water. I'm still relatively new to fish keeping and used adding a little more vs a little less!!

Back
Top Bottom