how much salt to add for brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGabbs

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a brackish tank and i thought i had the right salt adding info, but clearly don't as my brackish water is too low in salt. There seems to be so much sketchy info on those yahoo answer sites.

Can anyone tell me how many cups or table spoons i need to add to each gallon of water to achieve 1.005? I have a hydrometer, but rather than slowly adding salt to get it to that level i would rather just have a general idea of how much to add. would also help out with water changes.

Thanks!

I started mine kinda low and worked the way up to 1.005 cause I had mollies in the tank to cycle for awhile before I added the other fished. The last month and half, I got it to 1.005. How many gallons is the tank?

Its a 25 gallon, and i'm starting with one f8 puffer and a couple BB gobies. F8's prefer 1.003-1.008, so i'd like to try to keep it around 1.005 so that i can get some java moss growing in it.

Im already fed up with those plastic hydrometers. I think i'm going to get a refractometer.

I quickly got fed up with my hydrometer too. What kind of salt are you using?

instant ocean sea salt... The good stuff. :)

Kinda hard to give a exact amount, start off with bout 10-12 table spoon and measure after a day or two. If your still low, just keep on adding more salt.

Back
Top Bottom