How much water changes sould i do on my discus tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium advice master

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now i am doing 50% daily is that to much or not enough? And can I cut back on the water changes or no?

I wouldn't do more than 50% daily. I'm sure ill get flack for his but you should check out my thread on reducing nitrates with a nitrate reactor. You still need to keep up the WC's but it's extra reinforcement to keep your discus healthy.

Is there any reason why your doing massive water changes every day? What fish do you have and what size tank do you have. Are your water perimeters ok.

Everything is ok I herd that you have to do water changes every day with discus. I have a 55 gallon. With a small pleco in it with a discus. Can I cut back on water changes like 50% 2x a week?

Is there any reason why your doing massive water changes every day? What fish do you have and what size tank do you have. Are your water perimeters ok.

He has discus, they require pristine conditions which means daily WC's.

I wouldn't do more than 50% daily. I'm sure ill get flack for his but you should check out my thread on reducing nitrates with a nitrate reactor. You still need to keep up the WC's but it's extra reinforcement to keep your discus healthy.

I don't think you should get flack for this I believe that your right. 50% change each day is a massive shock for the fish and a lot of stress for them. If there was a major spike then I would so go for it but if things are ok I would lay off.

I herd several things on the intenet like 25% 3x a week 50% 2 a week. And I also heard 50% daily which one is right?

He has discus, they require pristine conditions which means daily WC's.

Sorry I think your wrong. As I said before it's to much each day. How can you expect the fish such as discus who are at best nervous to put up with a 50% water change every day. That's ridicules. If one is having to do that much that often to keep it pristine then one should think about upgrading the filter or reducing the stock.

I would suggest a 30% water change twice a week. Only increase it if there is any sort of problems with your water assuming that it's all ok at the mo.

I don't believe so. As it's a small baby it won't be producing as much waste. This also depends on how many you have in the tank and on the size of the tank. As long as your careful on your feeding and not leaving food in the tank which has not been eaten I would suggest that you would be fine. Do regular checks on the water if it changes for the worse increase your water changes. I am sure it will be fine tho.

Yeah I guess maybe that is excessive. I'd still make a simple reactor

I don't have discus but don't see why you can't keep your water pristine by over filtering and a weekly 50% water change that's what I do my tanks stay immaculately clean! :)

Back
Top Bottom