How Much Water Exchange??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpikeyThC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys,

How much water exchange should I have for a 45 gallon tall tank and how can i measure it?

Thanks.

SpikeyThC:confused:

Sorry, should have been more clear. Water Turnover (Flow) in the tank.

Thanks.

Depends on what you want to keep, if you have a fish only or fish only with live rock (fowlr) setup then you can get by with 10x turnover per hour, with a reef setup, 20x-30x turnover per hour is right about where you want to aim. Hope this helps.

Wow that means 1000 to 1500 gph in my tank. How am i supposed to achieve that? I have a ehiem 2215 that pumps about 200gph and a maxijet 400 that does 109 gph. I want to get another powerhead but there is no way I'll get to 1000gph.

Any suggestions?
Thx

That looks good.... But in a 45 gallon tall tank if i put one of those in will my fish be able to swim near it lol

theyll try but theyll learn in enough time its a strong current as theyll adapt. but are you planning on a reef or just fish and live rock?

Well I guess I can try one of those options. I'm a little pissed that my canister filter started making noice lately. Not sure If I need a new one.

If there is a problem with your cannister filter, I would just get rid of it and not replace it unless you are using it for carbon or other inserts as your live rock is all the biological filtration you need.

theyll try but theyll learn in enough time its a strong current as theyll adapt. but are you planning on a reef or just fish and live rock?

YOu will be amazed at what the fish can handle as far a flow goes. My Yellow tang (about 4") will pick algae off the powerheads including the front. It's less of a problem for my Sailfin Tang (about 7"). It's rather amzing to see them swim right through the stream coming out of the Koralia 4 and nibbling. They do make some very fast get aways - lol.

YOu will be amazed at what the fish can handle as far a flow goes. My Yellow tang (about 4") will pick algae off the powerheads including the front. It's less of a problem for my Sailfin Tang (about 7"). It's rather amzing to see them swim right through the stream coming out of the Koralia 4 and nibbling. They do make some very fast get aways - lol.
well i was looking at the fact he has clowns.. the two i had for a temp time couldnt even swim into a 50 gph lol. itd blow them away.. but they were baby so. and wow through a koralia 4 thats quite amazing lol they put out a lot of water

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice :). I managed to fix my ehiem canister. (For those who asked it was a 2213 Classic and i have had it for 3 years.) It was after all an impeller problem. Tested my luck and won. 30 bucks later it runs better then new.

Now that it is fixed i was able to spend money on a new powerhead.

I got a Hydor Koralla Evolution. It spits out a whopping 750GPH. That combined with my canister and maxijet 400 i have just over 1000GPH. So that will do for now.

My question now is...where do i place it? Right now i have it in the top left corner of my tank aimed down in a diagnal. You think that will work? The guy at BigAls suggested i put it behind the rock and point it out towards the front of the tank. What do you guys think of that?

Look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks for your help
Cheers

I like the idea of pointing it to the surface for good surface agitation.

I guess that makes the most sence. Right now the top is moving pretty good tho. I have a complete circle of circulation in my tank. If i put a floater on one side of the tank it goes around the edges of the tank in a continuious circle.

The top of the water has a rippling effect to it...how much surface agitation should i be going for?

thx

That would be laminar flow. You want chaotic flow which is what happens in the ocean. Point powerheads toward each other or at the front glass from the back sides making an X pattern.

You don't need much surface agitation, just so it isn't stagnant.

That would be laminar flow. You want chaotic flow which is what happens in the ocean. Point powerheads toward each other or at the front glass from the back sides making an X pattern.

You don't need much surface agitation, just so it isn't stagnant.

Sounds good. I will make that change tomorrow. Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom