How Often Do You Feed Your Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often do you feed fish?

• Multiple Times a Day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once a Day

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Once Every Other Day

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Once a Week

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thought I would start a poll - I am new and want to not overfeed/underfeed!

Thought I would start a poll - I am new and want to not overfeed/underfeed!

I think that's a loaded question based upon all the variables. But I'll bite ;). I'm under the belief that often small feedings are good for the fish. I drop in a small amount if food 2-3 times a day (so little it is gone in 10 seconds). But, I do have some animals that require a different feeding schedule. My dwarf fuzzy lion has a slow metabolism so I target feed him every 3 days or so and for my tang I always have a sheet of nori. My tube anemone gets fed every other day (b/c he is a filter feeder).

Now, I also feel comfortable feeding this much b/c I trust my skimmer and refugium. Also, I think that if my flame angel is full he won't want to touch my corals.

I know a lot of people feed only every few days and I don't think that is wrong it's just a different theory.

A tiny pinch of small pellets every 3rd day for two damsels and a royal gramma in a 65gal:

img_2332118_0_149b8773f115771dee5f70b72400af08.jpg

Elephant nose tank twice daily, bettas tank once a day and a blanched pea on Sunday :)

I feed only every 4 days but I hand feed every fish and coral with forceps. I also feed my electric blue hermit too. All with freeze dried plankton. Clownfish are fat pigs by the way.

haha the clowns and cardinal fish look like they constantly want to be eating

I feel bad waiting more than 24 hours

Every 4-5 days here. Fish are nice and plump still too. Doesn't hurt having a VERY healthy pod population either for spreading feedings out. My tank bred clowns pretty much hunt down their own food and my rainfords goby just grazes on algae all day (obese lil guy haha). I will say this though, the little feeding that I do has caused my dominant clown to be very aggressive towards me when I'm working in the tank. She goes berserk when I move/frag her precious pulsing xenia colony lmao.

If you only feed your fish once every 2 days, it is not the way most fish eat in the wild, which is what we should try to duplicate. In my experience, feeding twice per day, only what is consumed in about 2 minutes has been the best, and try to mix up from day to day. Day 1 live food, day 2 marine granules etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom