How often do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
Has anybody ever had any problems with feeding every other day. It seems like a great way to keep overfeeding under control and I have never heard of fish starving to death. I try to feed them only what they can eat but so much get sucked into the filter. Fast water movemetn i guess. I try feeding freeze dried blood worms but cant get them to sink, so they just get sucked in the skimmer. Suggestions?

It may depend on the fish, all I know is that goldfish can go about a week or two without being fed. I feed them once every day, but no more than they can eat in 2-3 minutes although I may occasionally fast them a day and then feed them peas if it is needed. Also younger fish need more food to grow healthy and big.

I feed every other day too. They all feed a bit on algae & bits of plant in between. (tiger barbs, rasbora, mosquito fish & otos).

Maybe you should try turning your skimmer off during feeding times or hydrate the worms ahead of time & release them beneath the waters surface so they won't get sucked up.

Most folks here have said that a protein skimmer isn't neccesary for a fresh water aquarium. I wouldn't know since I have only been doing this a little over a year. Just curious why you have one??

I use an high quality automatic feeder that feeds twice a day, once at 2:00pm and then again at 10:00 pm. I know people seem to be against the use of them, but it feeds them the exactly same amount twice a day with fail or human error.

I usually feed once a day, sometimes twice, and sometimes I skip a day.

Twice a day for me. All the fish have flourished with this feed rate.

best of luck,
Asaint

I feed daily, but sometimes skip a day. I also rotate what I feed on a daily basis. Variety helps ensure healthy fishes.

I feed everyother day. Sometimes once every 3 days. And when I do feed I don't feed that much. Fish do not need to eat all the time like some people think.

My mother has a small 5 gallon eclipse tank in the kitchen. Her neons literally look like they may explode. I told he to stop feeding but she won't listen.

Back
Top Bottom