How often should you clean external filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi just a query. I do my two every four weeks is that too often? I do internal filter weekly. All in tank water. What's the general recommended cleaning regime. I was just wondering is it a good idea to disturb the BB so often and would leaving longer between cleans be better?

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also how often should you clean ornaments roughly. I do mine every couple of weeks or should I wait till they are actually visually dirty

I try to clean my filters every 1-2 months. After that it can clog up and start resisting flow.

I don't have decor. I just wipe the glass whenever it needs to be cleaned. (Showing my inner perfectionist for having a clean tank)

Caleb

No one can say what the period should be between filter cleaning. There are so many variables.
When I first clean my filter I take note of how far the water pours the tank when the outlet is out of the water. When it only reaches a half to a third that distance I clean the filter. It's a bit crude but I have determined that my S*** buster takes four weeks and my slower polishing and in line UV filter takes six weeks.
Keep a good log of the cleaning dates for each filter and write down how dirty it was on a scale of 1-10 and you'll soon get a feel for the maintenance required.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

I don't clean filters until the mechanical media is so clogged, it disrupts the flow/filtration.

No one can say what the period should be between filter cleaning. There are so many variables.
When I first clean my filter I take note of how far the water pours the tank when the outlet is out of the water. When it only reaches a half to a third that distance I clean the filter. It's a bit crude but I have determined that my S*** buster takes four weeks and my slower polishing and in line UV filter takes six weeks.
Keep a good log of the cleaning dates for each filter and write down how dirty it was on a scale of 1-10 and you'll soon get a feel for the maintenance required.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

This is a good idea to keep a log. Cause nothing worse than taking it all apart finding it barely dirty and doing all that work. I work hard enough on this 465 litre tank doing 50% WC weekly. Buckets only.

Back
Top Bottom