How often to feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
New-ish tank, cycled, planted, 45g.

I get the "do not over-feed", and can manage that pretty well, feeding only what can be cleaned up in a couple minutes. If anything I worry not enough food is dropping through for the cat (but he seems fairly fat).

What I'm trying to understand is how often. I've read everything from 3 times a day to once a day and skip a day sometimes.

My fish appear young, at least based on size I think they are all young-ish. They are:

5 x Serpae tetra
2 x Congo tetra
1 x Raphael stripped catfish
2 x Koi Angelfish

I have been feeding lightly three times per day, based on advice more aimed at juveniles. By "Lightly" I mean they are just starting to be less frantic when the food is gone, I am sure they would eat more.

But if I had to pick the median advice on the internet most people seem to say only once, but rarely is there a discussion about fish age/size in those.

For not-fully-grown fish, should they eat more than once a day?

Is there any objective way to know if they are getting fed enough (note I see that as a bit different from "too much food left in the tank" which is what most discussions center on).

Will they over-eat? (Specifically these above)?

I feed my fish every other day and they get one feeding not 3.

Fish don't need to be fed as much as most people think.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feeding Fish

Hello Lin...

A fish is small with a very small stomach. It's roughly the size of one eye. That's tiny, so it doesn't take much to fill it. I feed a variety of flaked, frozen and freeze dried. A little every couple of the days.

No matter how much you feed, some will fall to the bottom. So, if you feed just a little, the fish learn to forage for leftovers. They get their exercise and your tank stays cleaner.

If you want to make sure your cat gets a share, feed a little bit toward evening. The rest of the fish are less active and your cat, who's more active toward dusk, can feed more easily.

B

I feed twice a day, and my angels eat everything. and anything they don't eat, the tetras of Steve (RTBS) eat.

A fish is small with a very small stomach. It's roughly the size of one eye. That's tiny, so it doesn't take much to fill it. I feed a variety of flaked, frozen and freeze dried. A little every couple of the days.

I've heard that frequently, though dissections posted online don't support it, I do take the message that they do not eat much at once.

That doesn't in and of itself imply how often they should eat; how quickly their stomach is emptied.

As in this thread, we have ranges already from twice a day to once every other day.

With all the wasted government research grants out there, hasn't someone done a study of what is most healthy for them? Some searching online hasn't turned anything like that up. Even the food manufacturers just state how often (often contradicting themselves as well), not that it derives from any science.

Is it simply that fish do well regardless, and it's all a matter of keeper preference?

There have been lots of studies done on fish nutrition, at a variety of universities, colleges and research stations. Most of it has been geared to maximize the potential in aquaculture. However, most of it can be applied to fish keeping as a hobby. One of the the things discovered was that if you reduce a fish's diet by 70% from optimal, it will still grow, albeit slower. So, you can see how the variety of practices and opinions presented here and on other forums by hobbyists can all work.
Having cleaned more than a few fish, I can say the the stomach can be much larger than the eye. I have seen that often repeated and it appears to be another myth that has taken on a life of it's own.
As for fish eating lots a once, piscivores will often eat lots at once either by eating a lot of small fish or perhaps one very large one. Herbivores often eat constantly, consuming as much available food as they can locate.
Having occasion to, annually (for a period of 3 to 6 weeks), feed live food every spring, for the last 19 years, I can safely say fish can have food in front of them 24/7. Most will stop eating when full, and, some will continue to eat as long as there is food. The result of these binges is a significant growth spurt. As well, the need for water changes goes up.

Thank you BillD.

I guess what I get from this (and from reading) is there's a wide range of "OK" for fish, apparently a lot more than mammals, and hence the range from every day or three to several times a day all appear to be workable.

Thanks everyone.

The only reason to feed your fish multiple times a day is to get them to grow out and quick.

I do every other day but I feed best food money can buy. My fish are very active and healthy.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the key to feeding your fish is to watch them eat. They should be eager and ready to eat but even this can be tricky because some fish will continue to eat. Too little is better than too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's interesting you asked this, I've often wondered. Logically, the smaller the stomach the faster it empties and the more often they need to eat right?

Some how I guess that logic doesn't apply to fish... I love that you asked this though.

Sent from my iPhone

Also has a lot to do with water temp, condition, age, and activity of the fish.

Young fish metabolize food quicker than old fish (just like people) so multiple small feeds are best.

Fish that don't move around a lot, like some catfish and cichlids may benefit from 1 large meal every day or even every other day.

Higher water temps help speed up metabolism, cool water slows it down.

Poor water quality also affects fish. They won't eat often alerting you to an issue.

It's very important what you feed and how you feed. Besides, it's fun to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom