How should aggressive fish be introduced to a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EscVelocity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok...I have a ten gallon tank. I plan to stock slowly w/ 3 dwarf puffers (1 male and 2 female), 1 oto (maybe 2), and ghost shrimp.

I was wondering what should go in first..to last. Also, if it would be best to put the 2 female puffers in at the same time...ect. I was planing to stock slowly, at least a week in between fish, but i read that the puffers like to be in groups..

Looks like you have done your research! I dont think it would really matter what order you introduce the fish. Those are about the only things that I have read that you can put in with the puffers. Most of the puffers that I have seen also hang close to the top of the water while the oto and the shrimp will hang by the bottom.

I agree with spoon, but I would do 2-3 otos if you are going to use them. A lonely oto is a sad sight.. and who likes a lonely oto? Ive got 6 otos in my 56 and they charge around the place like a bunch of teenage hooligans.

How big do oto's get? I'm trying to stick with roughly 3 gallons per puffer. However, the oto's would help a little with the bioload?

Hehe, Oto is the short name for otocinclus, or they are also called dwarf sucker mouth catfish. It's a FW catfish that is an algae eater, and stays pretty small. Apparently they can get up to 2", hmmm...I suppose i could get away with 2 of them.

oh cool so one of these...

9.jpg

Depends, what kind of filter will you be running on your 10? If you are using a decent HOB like a penguin/emperor suitable for twice your tank size it should be no problem imo.

Hmmm, i have an internal filter, Tetra whisper, that is for my tank size. (90 GPH) After reading your responce, i think i may need to upgrade filters anyway, in consideration for how messy dwarf puffers can be and that i don't really like the space it consumes inside my tank. I'll put the whisper in my QT tank, and use its bacterial grid in the new filter until its established.

Great idea. I use a Marineland HOB filter with a biowheel on my 10 gallon and I believe its the penguin 100. Filter size A is what it takes. I dont really like the filter because it gets too dirty too fast but it does a great job of keeping the bioload down, and the water is crystal clear at all times even though the filter (mechanical portion) gets clogged up quickly. The step above that filter, the one between the 100 and 280 would probabbly be a great idea, or one of those HOB canisters. I personally like canisters better just because they are so much quieter, and provide a little more versatile options for filter media. For instance, I only use filter carbon about one week a month, and just hang it inside my 55 in a mesh bag, utilizing the rest of the filter that would have housed that for filter floss. Also, canisters end up being a lot less expensive because you can use your own medias, for instance the Jo-Ann fabric store chains offer polyester batting that is 11 dollars a yard and lasts forever, you just cut it into the size you need. Anyway im rambling but I hope it goes well for you.

i have heard that dwarf puffers can sometimes be a nuisance to other fish (nipping and chasing)

It's true, especially if they are left hungry and/or don't have enough space. They will even nip their own kind. I expect my ghost shrimp to be preyed upon. They have a track record for getting along with Oto's though; if they don't i will move the Oto/'s to the QT tank until i set up something else.

Back
Top Bottom