How should I add marine salt to my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will setup my 29 gallon marine puffer tank (for my GSP) tomorrow.

How should I add the salt in? I don't have enough time to prepare 5 gallon bucket by five gallon bucket.

Can I just add the salt into the tank, pour dechlorinated water, turn on the filter and light, and wait 24 hours and then add him?

Also, should I let the salt dissolve and then add the sand or is it O.K to just add the sand in the first place?

Thank you!

Woah.. take a step back. Is the tank even full of water? Cycled? You need to mix the salt and water together for a little bit before adding to system.

Woah.. take a step back. Is the tank even full of water? Cycled? You need to mix the salt and water together for a little bit before adding to system.

sorry, I was in a rush I should have explained it better.

So I have a 29 gallon aquarium (already in my house) and have a stand and background coming tomorrow. I will make the stand and apply the background. I will put the tank on the stand along with the filter but not the water yet. Then on the next day, I will put the marine water (0.022) into the tank. I will wait for it to clear up. I will also add the lid and light. 24 hours later (the next day), I will put in the sand. It is pretty cloudy so I will leave it for another 24 hours. On Saturday, I will be getting instant ocean bio Spira to autocycle the tank. I will add my puffer in the tank on that day as well.
Here is a summary:
Wednesday: stand and background arrive, set up stand, apply background. But tank on stand and set up filter on the back.

Thursday: Put water in the tank and put lid and light.

Friday: put in sand, wait for it to settle down

Saturday: go to Petco and buy some bio Spira and put it in the tank. Add puffer.

**note: I will test the water and make sure the Bio-Spira is working. I will also do water changes (10% a week) and do more if the nitrate is high. He is still little, and he's in 0.018 salinity right now. I will drip acclimate him into 0.022. Sorry for the rush on my first post.

What's the rush though? Is this puffer in eminent danger? Captive in a space bubble heading towards the sun? What is the actual rush?? While a gsp can handle rapidly fluctuating specific gravity, temp, water level, visibility, current. Etc. I can almost guarantee it will not like the toxic conditions of a cycling 29 gallon tank.

What's the rush though? Is this puffer in eminent danger? Captive in a space bubble heading towards the sun? What is the actual rush?? While a gsp can handle rapidly fluctuating specific gravity, temp, water level, visibility, current. Etc. I can almost guarantee it will not like the toxic conditions of a cycling 29 gallon tank.

I will cycle it using bio Spira. I will also have a aquaclear 70 on it and do water changes. The rush is because he is in a 10 gallon and a bit over 2 inches, I want to move him to the 29 ASAP so he wouldn't be stunted or anything.

Just move everything in the 10 gallon tank into the 29 including water. How long have you had said puff?

Back
Top Bottom