How to acclimate fish into higher ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiya,

I'm currently fishless cycling my tank. When I checked my ph I found it was an outstanding 8.2! How can I acclimate fish properly to this high ph when I get them?

If you buy locally, usually water chemistry will be fairly similar, assuming no one's using a softener or RODI. Beyond that, normal acclimation methods or drip acclimation is sufficient. 8.2 is at the high end of normal, but still definitely within the normal fishkeeping range.

Wait until your tank is done cycling to see how the ph truely is. The cycling process can cause some swings in ph. Once your done cycling stability is key.

Tank Chemistry

Hiya,

I'm currently fishless cycling my tank. When I checked my ph I found it was an outstanding 8.2! How can I acclimate fish properly to this high ph when I get them?

Hello Polka...

This isn't a poor pH. Most fish will get used to most public water supplies. A stable water chemistry is more important than a particular water chemistry. I'd say your fish would be safe if you followed the standard process for introducing new ones and just kept the tank water pure with large, frequent water changes. Don't mess with the water chemistry, this usually doesn't turn out well for the fish.

B

Thank you to all: you've made me feel much more reassured. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom