How to add a second filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, it's a 60G Malawi Mbuna tank.

It currently has 12 fish in it and is being filtered by a Fluval 306.

I am well aware of the need to overstock Malawi tanks and have just ordered a Fluval Fx5.

These two canisters combined will provide the tank with over 7x turnover.

Now.. My question is, how do I get the Fx5 running on the tank without interrupting the already cycled 306?

I do plan to run both canisters in the end so I doubt I can move much media from the 306 to the Fx5.

I have read posts stating that as long as one filter is cycled, the second will not run a mini-cycle.

Is this true?
Even with the size difference of the 306 and Fx5?

Any help is appreciated.

PS - I could also use media setup examples for the Fx5..

This is the 306 setup;

Outside - 4x Foam Pads

Top - 2x 100g Carbon Bag + 2x Polishing Pad

Middle - Biomax Ceramic Rings

Bottom - 2x BioFoam

This is what I have so far for the Fx5;

Outside - 3x Foam Ring Pad

Top -

Middle - Biomax Ceramic Rings

Bottom - Biomax Ceramic Rings + 100g Purigen Bag

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just set up your second filter and you're good. I do it all the time. If you want, you can add some media from your already cycled filter, but it's not necessary. Since you plan to run them both, the second will become established without any problems.

One thing though, don't clean them both at the same time. I always give them two week intervals. clean one, two weeks later clean the other.

Last edited:
I've found that where I clean one and the other one carries on with no mini cycle. One is twice the volume of the other but makes no difference here.

Just plug it in no worries the other filter will still pull in water and rid the ammonia and other impurities. While the other cycles the already established will do the work.

Well thanks guys..

There's me worrying over nothing, as per.. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a little odd. I've always assumed the bacteria would grow to match ammonia produced so you would think cleaning one filter might decrease the population. In my case the filter gets a fairly vigorous clean but never noticed a difference in ammonia levels.

Back
Top Bottom