How to care for Zoanthids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Time to start saving. I guess my iwagumi tank will have to wait awhile. I need to grow out my DHG anyways.
I've already got an RO system from back in the day thank goodness.
$45 to a Refractometer
$65 to a Protein skimmer
$30 to chemicals/ new RO membranes
$100 for lighting
$50 to dollars for a stand/tank(going to get a computer stand as they will have wheels to move around easier and already have a whole in there for wires which I will use to route my plumbing.)
$20 to glass cutting equipment
$10 for piping
$60 for a sump pump.
$100 for lr/aragonite
$200 for livestock...
$40 for a Hydor Nano
So that will add up to about...$720. I have a lot of saving to do...I feel dizzy from how fast that added up.

You could do away with some of those items up front like the protein skimmer. You could also do without a sump for now. Id just worry about the tank/stand, lighting, heating, flow, and rocks.

The koralia shouldnt cost you $40.00. Look on ebay. You can get alot of items much cheaper! I got a Koralia 2 for $37.00.

For rocks, just get a bit of live rock and the rest dry base rock. Get cheap dry aragonite sand.

Oh yea, how big is your tank? It may be much too heavy for a portable computer desk.

Depending on size, you likely wont need a skimmer or a sump.
Matt

Well the thing is I'm trying to get as high water quality as possible because my father has to take care of the tank while I'm at college as it may take awhile for me to find an apartment and the dorms don't allow any form of animal, even coral! Thus, in order to make my dad's life easier I wanted to construct the ultimate filtration system. The tank itself is only 10 gallons which will ultimately weigh about 90-100pounds once everything is put in. Small cheese for a metal stand on casters that easily holds a huge TV

The plan is to drill the 10gal and then set up a 20gal sump for it on the bottom level of the stand. For the Sump I'm going to just use a rubbermaid food grade tote.

I did a generous estimate because there may be "problems" encountered during this whole ordeal. Oh and down here in the gulf there are no local sources of decent liverock except from floridian atlantic rock which is dense as lead. Even at about 6.00/LB it takes a fortune to properly fill a tank.

I would have done the same thing, if i was still doing my 10G. Definitely drilled. More water volume is great and you can put all the things you don't want in the DT in to the sump. And yeah.. you'll definitely need the better water quality in such a small tank.

I say go for it. Drill it and plumb it. It's not hard at all.. nor is it expensive.

You can get 50# of base rock for around $50. Sell what you don't need or just find some base rock locally for ~$2/pound.
Add one bag of sand (use playsand from HomeDepot/Lowes - not aragonite, but works fine) for ~$5.00
Add one 2 - 3 pound LR from the lfs @ ~$7/pound.

5# base rock @ $2 = $10
1 bag dry sand @ $5 = 5
1 3# LR @ 7/# = 21
That's $36 total

You just cut the LR/sand cost in half or more.

I've got pool filter sand left over from the FW tanks I guess I could use that. However how would I raise the pH of the tank? When I used coral sand it ended up being at about 8.6.

Back
Top Bottom