How to Care for...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all...I have tried keeping RNT before with them passing away of whirling disease. So my question is what is some advice any Rummy Nose Tetra keepers can give me?
I purchased 6 , to start. First, I have put them in a bucket with an airstone and the water they came in. I am currently doing a drop per second acclimation. I want all advice in trying to keep my favorite fish (2nd try). Their noses were really red and they were appearing happy at the LFS.

Note: I forgot to mention that the salesperson said to add some Melafix and treat for Ich, both as a preventative measure while they are in qt, is this recommended?

Last edited:
Is melafix for ich? I've used it for fin repair/tail rot in angels but that's it. I don't normally use any med's in QT but found Paraguard in QT isn't bad as it doesn't allow parasites to be able to adhere but also found it helps heal wounds a lot. I'd feed a medicated food if I thought they needed it. I don't see a reason to treat them unless you think there is a problem but that's just me. If it makes you feel better I can't see a reason you can't do it tho.

Is melafix for ich? I've used it for fin repair/tail rot in angels but that's it. I don't normally use any med's in QT but found Paraguard in QT isn't bad as it doesn't allow parasites to be able to adhere but also found it helps heal wounds a lot. I'd feed a medicated food if I thought they needed it. I don't see a reason to treat them unless you think there is a problem but that's just me. If it makes you feel better I can't see a reason you can't do it tho.

I'm not sure what all Melafix treats, he mentioned to put some in the qt for any parasites and use Rid-Ich Plus...all just as a pre-caution/preventative.
For some reason I can't find my 5g qt :eek:so they will be in a 2.5g:ermm:
Also, how long should I qt them before placing them in main tank?
My Ph has always test at 7.4 will they be okay?

No that wouldn't work as a 5g really isn't big enough unless you got some small rummies (which I've gotten before).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom