How to cure ich? First timer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is the first time my fish has ever gotten sick. So I have no experience with sick fish but I have some background knowledge. Last night I did a 50% water change and today I woke up with my rummynose tetra with ich. White spots on their fins and body. They are still swim and being active. In the same tank, no else has ich.
The current stock:
5 sterbai cory
8 rummynose
6-8 oto
2 peacock gudgeon
5 amano shrimp
The tank is cycled.
How to cure ich? Would I need to add aquarium salt? If so, would it harm my cories and plants? I know the tanks temperature has to be raise at 82° F. But for how long?

Temp needs to go to 86.

Don't use salt as it will damage live plants.

Heat alone can usually resolve ich. It will look worse before it he's better. This is because heat speeds up the life cycle so it passes faster

Caleb

For how long would the temperature need to be at 86?

Thank you, after a week should I do a big water change?

If you are going heat only mae sure you get p to 86.
Vacuum and change some water everyday as the ich it will fall to substrate and is then multiplying if not dying.
Keep heat up 1 week after you see last spot.
I use meds but your shrimp won't like them so heat is .

Thanks for the help. How long should I wait to add more fish once the ich is gone?

Thanks for the help. How long should I wait to add more fish once the ich is gone?

IMO at least 2 weeks. Or get them now and Quarantine them in a different tank. This is recommended anyway to prevent this situation from happening again.

Caleb

What would be the best way to quarantine fish? Adding establish filter media from not infected tank to a filter?

What would be the best way to quarantine fish? Adding establish filter media from not infected tank to a filter?

Yes. Some like myself run a sponge filter on a tank then move it over when I need a QT.

Caleb

I just set up a QT for some fishes I bought. Would one 150° be enough for a 40 gallon tank

Hey sorry to read about the ich, another option that has worked for me is using an herbal formula of ich medicine... I have gotten ich twice and the first time I use the heat method as directed by my LFS but sadly it ended up killing my fish. So the second time I used the herbal ich medication and I was able to treat the whole tank without harming anyone. Anyways that's another option you have. Good luck!

I actually have some herbal formula of ich cause a friend of mine gave it to me today. The bottle does say it wont harm the gills or internal organs. Not sure if it is better than heat

I just set up a QT for some fishes I bought. Would one 150° be enough for a 40 gallon tank

A 150 watt heater SHOULD be able to raise a 55g aquarium 10 degrees above an average room tempature of 68-72.
Sooo depending on your room temp and the type/quality of heater it should maintain a good temp .
Same link says 200watt should be able to raise same tank 15 degrees above room temp...

Have to give you the link with the real info on ich...
Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist

You need to kill it.
It is not a friendly visitor to your tank or fish...
The longer you wait to treat the stronger the ich gets...

I did a 25% water change today and tank's temperature is at 86 since I discover ich. Also connect a air pump too. Ich has spread to neon tetra and peacock gudgeon. Every one is still active and eating, now to let the heat do its job.

I've personally used Paraguard to treat ich. It works fairly quickly and will not harm your beneficial bacteria at all.

ich treatment

you should add airstone because at higher temps the oxygen saturation goes down you can place it near heater at top of tank

Claimed safe for plants they will make NO claim at all on inverts...
From seachem;
Q: Is ParaGuard™ safe for use in marine reef tanks with invertebrates and soft corals?

A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertabrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed dose as long as they are tolerating it. If you need to get rid of the ParaGuard™ quickly, just turn your skimmer back on.

Q: I was wondering if there was copper in Paraguard. I have a few hermit crabs in the tank, that I would prefer not to kill, and removing the affected fish is not an option in this case.

A: no, there is no copper in ParaGuard

Q: Is it safe to use ParaGuard in Planted aquarium? Can my plants survive ?

A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert/plant safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert/plant under every potential water parameter. It has been my personal experience that it is generally safe to use in planted aquaria and would not hesitate to do so.

Kordon rid ich plus is my choice for ich meds..
M green and formalin combined are the most effective treatment..
But is no good with shrimp.
You need to use the herbal stuff you got.

Be careful ...even with an airstone I would lower your water level to pump up the oxegyn...86 is dangerously warm especially for a week...the fish could suffocate plus it is super stressful on them...heat is not the best option IMO...def. do constant WC....and I wouldn't even think about adding Fish for a few weeks after the last spot is gone!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom