How to distinguish Orange tube coral for Sun coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wael El-Dasher

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a coral that's orange but I'm not sure the LFS knew what they sold me. Can someone help me identify if it's a tube coral or sun coral? I didn't know they're supposed to feed in a different way than the rest of the corals.

The LFS mentioned that it has a yellow flower, but I've not seen any flower. In addition I've noticed that it extends it's center out, looking like a perky nipple at times, which I thought was a good sign, but I read in another thread here, that it's a sign that it's hungry. I dont have any brine shrimp to feed it. Brine shrimp is not imported due to some health restriction but the LFS sells a brine hatching kit. I'm really confused on what to do. Other than JBL Koral Fluid, which is a Phyto- and zooplankton suspension with essential amino acids and Multi vitamins, I can't find anything else. Should I use the dropper and feed each one? Is that enough?

Sorry about the many questions.

Cheers

Wael

Attachments

• image-2214686195.jpg
    image-2214686195.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1793936795.jpg
    image-1793936795.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3849955970.jpg
    image-3849955970.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 98
Looks like an tube coral to me. Take a look at LiveAquaria and other sites for photos to help you see the difference. The Sun coral has tentacles all around the edge of the center orifice for catching food.

Thanks! So it seems I must feed each polyp with a dropper. Do you recommend I get a brine shrimp hatchery to feed it (and the fish later on) or can the JBL Koral Fluid work (Phyto- and zooplankton suspension with essential amino acids and Multi vitamins) for now until I get my fish in a month or so?

cheers

Wael

i have one of this and was told that it was a sun coral aswell but have never seen it open even at night my one seems to be doing fine i feed my fish frozen brine shrimp and sometimes the scraps lands on the coals but i have never gone out of my way to feed them as my lfs sed that they filler feed lol

If you do hatch yoru own brine be sure to fortify their diet (gut load them) with vitamins.

I've never had one so I can't tell you if just feeding the tank will be enough or if you need to feed to each polyp with an eye dropper. I would go that route for now.

Thanks for the advice. I believe between the brine shrimp and Koral fluid I should be able to take care of the orange tube corals. If you have any additional recommendations I'd be keen to read them.

This is all new to so I really appreciate everyone's advice.

Cheers

Wael

Back
Top Bottom