How to fast cycle with an API NEXX filter (or any filter))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three tanks now using API NEXX canister filters:

55 gallon: One NEXX canister system
75 gallon: One NEXX canister system with one extension
75 gallon: One NEXX canister system with one extension

The 55 gallon (Brand new, never had fish) I tried to cycle the "normal" way using ammonia. It took 56 days, yikes.

The first 75 gallon (Brand new, never had fish) I dumped in a bit of nutrafin and then had to tear the whole thing apart due to soap residue that I didn't get cleaned out. So basically had to start over. I rinsed the filthy filters of 3 tanks in the water of this tank and let the filter clear the water up. Cycled in 9 days.

The second 75 gallon (I'd had it for months with a Penguin HOB filter) was already cycled but I wanted a NEXX system on it. I put the NEXX system on it, took out the fish and cleaned the HOB filters in the new water. Let the water get cleared out by the NEXX filter and then ran both the HOB and the NEXX filters on the tank. I had to take the HOB filter off and put it on another tank I'm using as a breeding tank for my Angles. The tank left with the NEXX system is doing great the filters are cycled, in 5 days.

Basically what I'm saying is: Your tank doesn't cycle, your filter system does. When putting a new tank together get the nastiest, dirtiest filters you can get your hands on and wash them in the new tank's water. Let the filter do the rest.

I only mention the API NEXX filters because I can't be sure this will work with all canister systems. I also instant cycled a 5 gallon tank with a dirty filter in a little HOB filter for my Betta. So I guess this would work for any type of filter.

Let the religious wars begin! :)

Edit: for full disclosure I did "normal" cycle my 20 gallon in 13 days using an activated sponge filter.

true.
In the filter there is a constant supply of both ammonia and oxygen -
so a large majority of the beneficial bacteria will grow in the Filter.

But bacteria will also grow on the gravel, decorations, driftwood, the walls of the the tank etc...

Contrary to belief, minimal (if any) bacteria will reside freely in the water column itself.

I think most people have already figured this out, lol. That is why people always recommend getting filter media from an established tank and shoving it into the filter compartment of the new tank.

true.
In the filter there is a constant supply of both ammonia and oxygen -
so a large majority of the beneficial bacteria will grow in the Filter.

But bacteria will also grow on the gravel, decorations, driftwood, the walls of the the tank etc...

Contrary to belief, minimal (if any) bacteria will reside freely in the water column itself.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out, don't want to mislead anyone. :) I guess my main point is, if you have tanks already up and running, no point in wasting time with the dosing of ammonia every day for months. :cool:

I think most people have already figured this out, lol. That is why people always recommend getting filter media from an established tank and shoving it into the filter compartment of the new tank.

Well most people with tanks already get it, but for new people there isn't anything on this site I've seen that says "don't waste your time". More to the point nothing that has actually shown the difference. But yes you are right most people here already get it. :)

yeah, if you take the filter cartridge from one filter and install it in another filter. you cut out alot of the hard work.

I just got one of these Nexx filters on my 55G Oscar tank. I use it with a Topfin 60 HOB filter. Really love the design of the Nexx.

I just got one of these Nexx filters on my 55G Oscar tank. I use it with a Topfin 60 HOB filter. Really love the design of the Nexx.

Yeah I'm very happy with mine, although I have to say I have nothing to compare it to as I've only had HOB filters before I got these.

Back
Top Bottom