how to get pH down???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you been playing with the substrate? Eco complete usually raises pH at the beginning but it will later stabilize. Also, liquid CO2 does not alter pH so it won't matter.

No, haven't touched the substrate since I put it in 7 months ago. This is so frustrating. Obviously lowering it is the most important thing, but Id like to know why its happening.

What type of driftwood you have? What are the white round things on your substrate? Rocks?

What type of driftwood you have? What are the white round things on your substrate? Rocks?

I'm not really sure what kind it is, its not manzanita I know that, and yeah the white is small gravel that I kept in that area to help keep the plants rooted down. Its like a 1/5 ratio gravel/substrate and only in that one portion of the tank.

Sorry for asking too much. Is the gravel aquarium safe? Some rocks will alter pH ( I can't see how big they are). You can check rocks by putting pa few drops of ordinary white vinegar on it. If it foams or bubble, they are calcareous and will alter the pH of water. Did you boil the driftwood?

Sorry for asking too much. Is the gravel aquarium safe? Some rocks will alter pH ( I can't see how big they are). You can check rocks by putting pa few drops of ordinary white vinegar on it. If it foams or bubble, they are calcareous and will alter the pH of water. Did you boil the driftwood?

The more questions the more possibilities we can eliminate so thank you!
The driftwood is about 1 year old and it was boiled. The gravel itself is about 1 year old as well, but that is a possibility. I'll try the vinegar trick.

I use ECO as well in my Discus tanks and have never had a problem. Initially there can be a spike in amonia which is normal, but after that, everything has been great. I wish I had better suggestions for you...it lust sounds like sea shells or something similar has found its way into your tank. I guess I would do large water changes daily and slowly lower the PH over several days. I have always read that dilution is the solution to pollution. 5 gallons per day every day for the next 10 days may help....it can't hurt.
D

I use ECO as well in my Discus tanks and have never had a problem. Initially there can be a spike in amonia which is normal, but after that, everything has been great. I wish I had better suggestions for you...it lust sounds like sea shells or something similar has found its way into your tank. I guess I would do large water changes daily and slowly lower the PH over several days. I have always read that dilution is the solution to pollution. 5 gallons per day every day for the next 10 days may help....it can't hurt.
D

Thanks for the suggestions, I did have a massive bloom of trumpet snails in the last few days. I've been scraping them out and my assassin snails have been doing as much as they can. That'd the only thing that's really changed. I'll definitely be doing water changes. Hopefully I can get it down to normal again.

isn't this a bit extreme? almond leaves are needed to lower pH for the shrimps to breed.

Not extreme at all! It's just a natural way of lowering ph and a lot more stable and less harmful than any chemical! Wouldn't you agree??? Also the shrimp will love to eat them :)

Not extreme at all! It's just a natural way of lowering ph and a lot more stable and less harmful than any chemical! Wouldn't you agree??? Also the shrimp will love to eat them :)

yes, i understand the logical reasoning behind it and it's a handy dandy knowledge. but i don't think the OP is here to breed shrimps or try to cloudy up the fish tank. i think she's trying to find out why when the water exits the faucet at around7.5pH ended up in the mid 8pH inside the fish tank.

Still scratching my head on this one. Can you get a 10 Gallon tank from wal_mart? Use your HOB filter and water from your tank. Make your W/C in the bare bottom tank and see if the PH staarts to drop. If nothing more, you will at least have a hospital tank.
D

yes, i understand the logical reasoning behind it and it's a handy dandy knowledge. but i don't think the OP is here to breed shrimps or try to cloudy up the fish tank. i think she's trying to find out why when the water exits the faucet at around7.5pH ended up in the mid 8pH inside the fish tank.

I thought she just wanted to lower ph which almond leaves will do well! My tap comes out at 7.9 and is real hard after one day in the tank it's 6.4 just voicing my opinion on a way I have found to be good to lower ph.

I thought she just wanted to lower ph which almond leaves will do well! My tap comes out at 7.9 and is real hard after one day in the tank it's 6.4 just voicing my opinion on a way I have found to be good to lower ph.

I will try the almond leaves I'm desperate at this point and I don't mind the shrimp breeding more than they already are

Back
Top Bottom