How to handle jumpers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to understand how to feed or do PWC when you have notorious "jumpers" in the tank. today, I completely lift my lids off the top when performing tank maintenance and I'm not sure what to do in the future.

Also regarding feeding. I remember hearing stories of Oscars jumping clean out of the tank trying to get some food. I'm trying to avoid flapping fish on the ground.

What kind of fish are we talking about here? I haven't used a lid of any kind in some time, keeping africans and a big variety of community fish (some 'known' to jump).

So far, the only fish I've looked at that I've read about jumping would be Oscars and the Red Tailed Black Shark. Just trying to be proactive.

I run all my tanks topless, never had anything go over the wall on me. I had a cat go partially in, but that is a whole different thing.

My community tanks along with both my african tanks are topless, the oscars, jags, festae, and trimacs are covered and have weights. I've had oscars and jags launch themselves out of the tank when feeding, lids are based on your individual fish. When feeding the big boys I just barely crack open the lid and toss in pellets on different sides of the tank, not only for fear of them jumping but I'm sick to death of getting soaked and water on the hardwood floors. I've never had one jump during a PWC, that's when I usually get bit.

I have Silver Hatchetfish in my 55g community which are meant to be jumpers, but I haven't had a problem. Just to be on the safe side, I gently lower the lid back down once I have the Python in the water - not enough to crimp the hose, but enough to make sure no fishies make a Finding Nemo or Chicken Run attempt ;-)

Hukit, since i'm looking at the SA cichlids, I will follow your advice.

What kind of weights are you talking about? My lids are glass hinged and pretty heavy by my standards, but I don't have experience with full grown cichlids to judge if it is sufficient.

Wow Bit during PWCs! Are you just carelessly holding you hand underwater while vacuuming and they are looking for a snack, or are they seeking you out?

I actually use cut Velcro to hold down lids, place double sided pieces on the lid and tank and them a piece to connect and secure. I also have the lids lined with rolls of thin one sided insulation to reduce the amount of water they splash all over, luckily all my large tanks are reef ready so the water sits below the rim about 2-3" but wet floors are common. The biting occurs when the oscars are guarding fry and the small male jag lunges at me once in a while, I can't wait till the Festae grow up since their just mean.

Back
Top Bottom