How to lower Ph levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titanic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 10 gallon fully cycled with an Aqueon 20 filter, Bio-Rings, 2 Dwuarf Gouramis (Colisa Lalia), 1 Amazon Sword and 6 medium-small Vallisnerias.

I have 0 ammo 0 nitrites and 28 nitrates. When doing PWC i add API salt, Tetra aquasafe and Seachem Flourish

The problem is That mi Ph is 7.7 so is super high i need it 6.8-7.1but i don't know how to lower it i keep doing PWC and it only goes down to 7.5 and in a day or two it's 7.7 again (tap water Ph 7.0)
I've heard of people adding Vinegar and lemon juice but Is this safe?
I was also thinking about adding API Ph Down but i don't know if this will make my Ph instable or damage my biological filter.:ermm:

A stable pH is much better than trying to correct it. Almost all aquarium fish are already adapted to your local water's pH. When adding things to change pH it makes it much harder to keep it stable. Which is much worse for the fish.

What are you wanting to keep that requires that low of a ph? Yours should be perfectly fine for all but the most sensitive fish.

I've read in multiple book that ideal Ph for Dwarf Gouramis is 6.9 is this true?

Bog wood sound nice but here in Panama i just can't find it in any LFS. I don't know if i should pick up a piece in the lake?

I've had dwarf gouramis in pH of 8 and they're perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, your pH is not a problem for them.

You could get a piece of wood, that would help a litle bit. But most fish do just fine in anything from 6-8. As long as it is stable, thats more important than getting it just right.

I wouldn't worry about the ph. I have two dwarf gouramis and my tank has a high ph too. Driftwood will naturally lower the ph so you can do that. Your nitrates seem a bit high though. Below 20 ppm is ideal

Thanks for y'all advice:) I'll try to do the driftwood thing but i don't really like tannis any way to reduce them?

Thanks for y'all advice:) I'll try to do the driftwood thing but i don't really like tannis any way to reduce them?

As others suggested I would seriously advise that you avoid trying to change your ph. Aquarium fish adapt very very well to differing ph levels. I keep a dwarf gourami myself at 7.9 and have had him for close to a year now.

You will only cause problems by trying to change it.

Can I ask what is in your tank? Usually ph decreases over time whereas yours seems to go up ? Tap 7 and tank 7.7?

Hi,

I have a 10 gallon fully cycled with an Aqueon 20 filter, Bio-Rings, 2 Dwuarf Gouramis (Colisa Lalia), 1 Amazon Sword and 6 medium-small Vallisnerias.

I have 0 ammo 0 nitrites and 28 nitrates. When doing PWC i add API salt, Tetra aquasafe and Seachem Flourish

The problem is That mi Ph is 7.7 so is super high i need it 6.8-7.1but i don't know how to lower it i keep doing PWC and it only goes down to 7.5 and in a day or two it's 7.7 again (tap water Ph 7.0)

I've heard of people adding Vinegar and lemon juice but Is this safe?

I was also thinking about adding API Ph Down but i don't know if this will make my Ph instable or damage my biological filter.:ermm:

Why do you add salt at every water change

It should only be added if you have a problem

Your pH is fine at 7.7 and do not add salt, lemon or vinegar to your tank.

Yup +1 to every one who says don't change your ph. A stable ph is way better for your fish then a swinging ph. You can kill your fish trying to alter your ph so keep that in mind when you wanna make your fish happy.

Hey Guys
Today i went to the lake looking for dirftwood but almost got in there trying to get one out :lol: .I decided to let the Ph be stable. But i'm looking forward to an Asian biotope so i added peat moss in a soak is that ok?

Back
Top Bottom