How to lower temp.---help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today it's a very hot day here in TX, my tank just went up to 88-89 degrees, I have 2 fans blowing on it to no avail, I don't have a chiller and really can't afford one right now. Any tricks out there? thanks

Freeze bags of water and float them. If you have a sump, you could always refrigerate some of the tankwater, and then add it slowwwwwwwly back in so no fish get stressed. Fans should do the trick... and if you have A/C, turn it on. Needless to say, turn lights off and let things settle. Slow changes... just do slow changes... nothing drastic. :mrgreen:

You could freeze some RO water also and put in icecubes in the sump. Or like said before freeze bags of water and place in there.

go to HD and buy for $5 each 5" clip on fans and use them to help...I am in fla so i know about the heat and I was about 86 and got 3 fans...on blowing on the my sump and 2 for my main and now Im about 79-80 and I have to turn the fans off since I dont have a heater yet otherwise it will cool it way down...

Has anyone ever tried dry ice? You could put it in a sump etc. It would increase your co2 level but I would not think by much as most of it would escape into the air.

Im sure wally mart has them too :)
I would recommend any of the ice or dry ice options....run the risk of adding harmfuls to u tank unless u make ice with RO water and honestly ice will do nothing to a tank over 30 gals to the temp...Ive tryied :)
Good luck

Thanks pearsont74, I'll visit wal-mart tomorrow morning and see what they've got, if not home depot it is, I'll definetly post whatever happens :D

I hate heat problems. In FL our AC always goes out during the hottest time of the year. I change my light schedule to go on at night, have fans on both my sump and tank. Also, if the temp gets really bad, float ice cubes in a bag in your sump.

Back
Top Bottom