How to preserve a deceased fish for transport?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thartley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a couple of Ottos and one of them didn't survive. I'm not surprised, because when I put them into the tank, one of them didn't seem to be as active as the other.

My LFS has a replacement warranty, but you have to bring in the deceased fish and a water sample. I won't be able to get to the LFS for about 24 hours and I would like some suggestions for packaging the deceased fish so it won't shrivel up before it gets to the LFS.

Thanks.

when I had to take a dead fish back I just put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the frige. Seemed to do ok.

The LFS usually just wants to make sure it wasn't eaten by another fish. You should be fine if you bring it back within the 24 hours. Just remember to give them a seperate water sample with out the fish in it so that they can tell you if your water params are in good shape.

I put mine in a ziploc bag with a little water and throw it in the freezer. Preserves it perfectly. Then when you are taking it to the fish store, the ice keeps it frozen. HTH

I put mine in a ziploc bag with a little water and throw it in the freezer. Preserves it perfectly. Then when you are taking it to the fish store, the ice keeps it frozen. HTH

Back
Top Bottom