How to promote zoanthid growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some zoos and they are the pride and joy of my tank. I'd really like to do all that I can to promote speedy growth. I have (2) 175W MH lights so I think lighting is good. My CA is about 450 and my Alk is 4 meq/L. Is there something I could spot feed them with? I really want them to grow and spread like crazy!

Well I did some googling and so far found that phytoplankton and blender mush can be fed to them. Just about any very small food. That's about it so far, other than the obvious good lighting, good flow, good water, etc.

thats what i have heard as well, ive heard you can feed phytoplankton, but it is not necessary, but will prob. increase growth.

Problem with adding that stuff is in the ocean fresh water with new phyto is constantly being introduced... in the aquarium, it all sinks or gets sucked into the filtration system. I would definitely use a turkey baster (the foot long squeeze-tube things) and spot "squirt" it close to them to minimize water damage and maximize absorbtion. A very small dose daily should help.

I target feed them blender mush and phytoplankton and they have totally covered the rock they are on.

Do you have a recipe for your blender mush?

Or is it the one out of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist?"

Blender mush

Blender mush

Coral food .......................................................................

Ingredients:

Seafoods:

6 fresh mussels
6 fresh clams
6 fresh oysters
3 whole shrimp (fresh or frozen)
These seafoods contain blood or blood components, which are rich in nutrients. If one or more of these ingredients are not available, you may substitute similiar items (not precooked, canned or containing additional additives or other ingredients).
Frozen Aquarium Foods

1/2 package frozen sea urchins (aquarium pack)
1/2 package frozen fish roe (aquarium pack)
4 oz. decapsulated Artemia nauplii
The decapsulated (deshelled) Artemia are readily accepted my most corals as they do not have the shells, which many corals will reject. Frozen brine shrimp may be substituted however, as with the Artemia, the shells may cause some corals to reject them. These ingredients are an excellent source of nutritional ingredients.
Dried Seaweeds

1/4 cup of red, green and brown seaweeds after soaking.
Dried seaweeds can be found in pet shops and health food stores or in the Asian section of most food stores. Do not use roasted or other products which have flavors or other indredients added to them. Seaweeds are an excellent food for zoanthids and other soft corals which feed on plant matter. Natural sea weeds are also an excellent source of iodine.
Aquarium Foods & Supplements

2 oz. (1 small container) Marine Flake Food
2 oz. (1 small container) Tiny food pellets
1 tbsp Liquid vitamins (Selco, or other vitamin/amino acid supplements)
Preparation
Soak the seaweeds in fresh (declorinated) water until soft.
Thaw all of the frozen ingredients in a bowl.
Remove shells from all seafood.
Crush all dry ingedients into a powder. A mortar and pestle is best, but various other kitchen implements (2 spoons, 1 spoon and a small plate) can be used.
Add liquid vitamins to the powdered ingredients.
Liquify all of the ingredients in a blender.
Freeze in Ziplock bags in thin flats or in small compartment ice cube trays (cut pieces in half, or quarters for feeding convenience and store in Ziplock bags after frozen).
Feeding Recommendations
Start by feeding small amounts (1/2 tsp per 50 gallons of system water per day) to begin with. You can gradually increase the amount, until you start to see water quality problems, then back off on the quantity a bit. The food can be administered at night (when most corals actively feed) or with the use of a turkey baster (dissolve the ration in a container of tank water and inject directly onto the corals).

My receipe differs somewhat :roll:

Some scallops
Some Shrimp
Some Squid
Some Phytoplankton
Some Seaweed
Some Garlic
Some Vitamin C
Some Aquarium Water

Blend in a blender and freeze flat in ziplocs.

I also do small amounts more often to keep it fresh.

Bearfan said:
My receipe differs somewhat :roll:

Some scallops
Some Shrimp
Some Squid
Some Phytoplankton
Some Seaweed
Some Garlic
Some Vitamin C
Some Aquarium Water

Blend in a blender and freeze flat in ziplocs.

I also do small amounts more often to keep it fresh.

So your just tossing various amounts into the blender then? or do you say a few cloves of garlic, and a package of seaweed? and where are you getting the Vitamin C from? the pharmacy?

I have been feeding my tank Zooplankton once a week. Its small enough for zoos to grab (I guess they grab it cuz some of them close when I feed it) and has enough volume for the other fish to eat too.

Back
Top Bottom