How to put glass back together on bottom pane of the aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
The glass of my aquarium is not placed on top of the bottom pane of glass but on the outside of it. How would i go about putting it back together? I wouldn't be able to smooth out the bottom of the aquarium and the silicone coming out of the bottom of the tank will stick to whatever surface i'm working with. Please help me!! :banghead:

Try placing small pieces of wood next to each other like railroad ties. Lay the bottom piece on that. Once the silicon cures you can just take a razor blade and scrape off the excess. I assume you are using clamps of some sort to hold the thing together while the silicon cures.

What kind of clamps are you talking about? I was thinking of using tape.

i think i'm going to just scrap it. The silicon isn't coming off it leaves a film and requires a lot of alcohol. It would take me hours maybe days to remove all the silicone. I'm better off buying a new 32G..Kinda sad right now but i have no choice. What a waste of a day.

I gave it one last go this morning. The scrubbing pad helped a bit but again it would take me hours to scrub each pane. Either way the glass had chips and a ton of scratches. I'm going to call some pet shops here and see if i can find another cheap 32G since i have the hood already. If not i'll try my luck at a used one again. Hopefully next person i get actually knows what good condition means. I should hopefully have the new tank by sunday and i'll post it fully up and running. In the meantime i'll clean out the fluval 205 and check out the stand he gave me. I don't want any other surprises.

Speaking of the stand it was a little to small for the tank in width so i'm going to cut a piece of plywood to fit it. The stand wobbled very slightly when the tank was empty but wouldn't budge when it was full. Should i be worried? I don't want to try and reinforce it and end up wasting more money by screwing it up. I'll check it out and tighten any screws and such. It is levelled though.

I just gave my pleco away since it was getting to big and i didn't want it to live in a bucket until i got the new tank. He was a beauty. Hopefully my 4 tetras and 3 minnows will be ok in a 5G with a betta until sunday.

Ya I threw out the tank already. It would of taken me a week to remove all that silicone.

Back
Top Bottom