How to set up a CO2 system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not at all. I did prop it up as you suggested.

I appreciated the info though. I just didn't have time respond at the time. So I'll say thanks now!

Thankfully, I got a new stand for the tank, and as soon I have time, will replace it with the old one. I will be able keep the cylander upright then.

The regulator was a gift, but I see the Milwaukee MA95 online costing $80-$90. You can probably get it for much less without the electric selinoid. When I switch tanks out I am going to take the selinoid off, as I decided I really don't want or need to put it on a timer or ph controller.

The CO2 was outrageous, but costs are very, very high were I live in Alaska. So, that price is going to vary greatly depending on where you live and if you buy your own cylander and have it fillled, or some places you pay a base price for a full one and then trade it for another for a cheaper price when its empty.

I already had CO2 tubing, which lasts longer than regular air tubing. I forgot the price, so it wasn't too much more than regular airline tubing.

I already had a glass diffuser at the time and it wasn't much, less than $5.

I bought two imported stainless steel check valves for $16, shipping included.

I later bought an inline diffuser for about $20.

For me, the expense of it all was worth every cent, and I'm a tightwad!

That's alot of cash... Maybe i'll wait a while :)

FYI I asked about co2 thru work and was quoted $50 deposit and about 15-20 a refill..they take care of swapping out tanks

You can get a setup for about $150. The regulator is $89 from eseasongear.com, an aluminum 5lb cylinder is $55 from kegerator.com, and a refill is anywhere from $10-$30.

mfdrookie516 said:
You can get a setup for about $150. The regulator is $89 from eseasongear.com, an aluminum 5lb cylinder is $55 from kegerator.com, and a refill is anywhere from $10-$30.

Why're regulators so expensive? Or is it juat because of the solenoid? Because isnt it just a bunch of overpriced guages?

Regulators for all gases are expensive, or should I say, not cheap.

I'm sure one without the selinoid would be cheaper, but probably not by a whole lot.

mudraker said:
Regulators for all gases are expensive, or should I say, not cheap.

I'm sure one without the selinoid would be cheaper, but probably not by a whole lot.

Why is that? Isn't it just some valves and pressure guages? Valves are cheap, so are tire pressure guages. So unless theres a difference it should be a lot cheaper. Ohwell. I'm probably wrong though

This is how I use a paintball tank till I get my 55 lb filled

Attachments

• image-3943434020.jpg
    image-3943434020.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 707
What is everyone's opinion on adding co2 to a system with a wet/dry sump? I have a 125 that I want to add live plants to. I have read a vast variety of opinions on a wet/ dry sump being counter productive to adding co2. Also read if the wet/dry had more water and less air it would help with the co2 escaping. I am also adding standing PVC pipes in my corner overflows so that the water doesn't fall so far in the air to go down to the sump. Any opinions? I don't want to have to buy a canister filter or two just to add co2.

It will be counterproductive. Your wet/dry will just off gas the co2 you are trying to inject.

Hi i was wandering if i could add a diffuser to my air pump instead of an air stone , will that be better for the live plants ? Or do i have to have a CO2 ? I really am clueless on CO2 system and how they work , so would the air pump with a diffuser be good enough for a 20 gallon tank , to help plant growth ? Please please help thanks ?

Adding a diffuser with oxygen would help your fish not your plants. Plants feed of co2 not oxygen. The need for co2 for your plants depends on a variety of things. Needing co2 mostly depends on your light output you are giving your plants everyday. As in how many lumens or watts per gallon are you giving your aquarium? Also the need for co2 could also depend on what substrate you are using. If you have pfs " pool filter sand" like me, I use pressurized co2 and add ferts to help with the inert, substrate. Hope this helps at least a little. If you want a heavily planted tank and you have high output lights then you need co2.

Thanks i have sand that i got from the pet store not sure what kind just black sand also i have LED lights thats 20 watts , 20 LED on the fixture 2 watt per LED so i have 20 watts on my 10 gallon tank , i have low light plants , and soon im upgrading to a 20 gallon and plan to buy a new light fixture for the 20 gallon that puts out more wattage , im scared to have CO2 bc i herd they can blow up ? And where do u refil them and whats the smallest CO2 tank can i get for a 20 gallon and how often will i have to refill it ? Thanks

With a aquarium that size you don't really need pressurized co 2 you can dose carbon supplements instead such as API co 2 booster, flourish excel, or metricide 14 diluted 50/50 with distiller or ro water.

If you absolutely want pressurized co2 you can go with with a aqua tech paintball regulator and a paintball tank( cheaper route) tanks range from 10 oz to 24 oz and can be refilled at ace hardware dicks sporting goods and sports authority for under $10
How often you refill depends on how long you run it and what amount you are putting in . To save on co2 I bought a regulator with a solenoid and put it in a timer to run about 7 hours a day. My 5 lb last me about six to eight months at 1 bps.

I agree with Richard. Another option if you do not want pressurized CO2, you can use DIY CO2. The CO2 is made by you using yeast, water used baking soda I believe. You can use a 2 L bottle's to mix them in after you get the measurements. CO2 hose, and a cheap regulator you could buy off eBay.

You don't need CO2 to have a densely planted tank. Nor does a specialty substrate require CO2. I have 2 planted tanks that I started out dosing with metricide 14 (undiluted and at half the dose of excel) and both became VERY densely packed with foliage. Since then I have changed both of my tanks over to high tech CO2 injected aquariums 1 of which is a 10g and the other is a 55g.

If you desire CO2 then you will need to supplement with proper fertilization or it will be pointless. Either the pressurized route or DIY route will yield similar results.

Back
Top Bottom