How to silent Eshopps OF Box???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an Eshopps 300 overflow box and the drain has a loud splashing. I looked up some YouTube videos to remedy the situation, but none work. I tried to use the 1/2 water botter with airline through the center, no go. I tried fiddling with airline tubing down the drain, didn't work either... T.T

I currently use an Aqua Top 607GPH water pump and it retains the water level and works great! It's just the splashing that's a little too loud. I'm using the foam tube but it barely does anything to help with noise. I also tried lowering the OF box and raising it. It goes quiet when I lower it, but the the water level compensates and then it gets loud again. So I have the water line at the top. I have not tried moving my OFB from left to right or center... I have my return water on the far right and the OFB on the far left. Would this make a difference?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions that won't potentially ruin my equipment or possibly flood my tank. Thanks

Can you add a ball valve or gate valve to partially restrict the drain line so water will back up in the line so you won't have the falling water noise? Would take some work to fine tune to be sure the drain and return are equalized, so any overflowing possibility is eliminated.

Can you add a ball valve or gate valve to partially restrict the drain line so water will back up in the line so you won't have the falling water noise? Would take some work to fine tune to be sure the drain and return are equalized, so any overflowing possibility is eliminated.

That sounds like a splended idea! Thank you so much! It's just a flex tube connected to my OFB into a 300 micron bag, I can attach a ball vavle to the end of it. But right you are, I would have to be extremely careful and monitor for at least a week. I've heard horror stories of tank overflowing ever so slowly that you could not tell in a matter of a few days. Thanks again

That sounds like a splended idea! Thank you so much! It's just a flex tube connected to my OFB into a 300 micron bag, I can attach a ball vavle to the end of it. But right you are, I would have to be extremely careful and monitor for at least a week. I've heard horror stories of tank overflowing ever so slowly that you could not tell in a matter of a few days. Thanks again

Even thinking of that terrifies me. All it would take is one piece of algae or sponge dislodging to plug the whole system up and cause an overflow.

Seriously, the durso standpipe is a super simple design. Just check it out http://randystacye.com/dursostandpipe.htm

Will the durso fit in the overflow box? If it does, that would be the best/quietest way. The durso would not fit in my overflow box unfortunately on my 46g tank. I have had a ball valve on the drain of the 46 for 2 years, and haven't had a situation close to an overflow. I don't have the water restricted all the way to the top of the drain hose and at the bottom of the overflow box, so there is still some water noise, but not nearly as bad as if it were falling all the way down. I think algae,snails, etc are always going to be a potential hazard when running a sump system. Also aren't ball/gate valves a good way to synchronize drains/returns? On my drilled 125 with durso pipes, I still had to slow the drain a little bit to eliminate noise and fine tune the water level. I'm not trying to cause an argument or make it sound like my idea is the only way. Just trying to always learn and share my experiences about this amazing and addicting hobby ; )

I had a pretty tight fit for my overflow but by fiddling with the design a bit I managed to make it fit. If the durso doesn't fit then the stockham standpipe is the way to go.

The stockman definitely looks like the way to go for overflows with limited room

Back
Top Bottom