How to soak Driftwood??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
bought some mopani wood for my tank today. i would like to be able to put it in my tank by saturday afternoon. How should i soak it? boiled water or normal?

:thanks:

Boiled could work. But what I did was just put it in the tank and let it soak the water for days. It took 2 days or so. But it depends but if you want it faster try boiling, I never tried that.

Using My iPad and I Love Fishes! <~8~>

I've always boiled my driftwood. I've only had an issue 1 time with tannins leaching into my tank after boiling and it was my error (the burner wasn't even on) haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, i think ill just let it soak until saturday.(too lazy to boil)

Soaking it at room temp for two days won't do much. If you want to leach the tannins, you'll need to boil it for a couple of hours.

Mopani wood is almost impossible to get the tannins out of in my experience. It does sink nicely though.

My pieces of mopani wood took a long, long, long, long time to stop leaching tannins. And that's after I boiled them thoroughly for a few hours, and soaked them in a bucket for about two weeks.

So be prepared, you may have some tannins. Not the worst thing in the world, they do eventually go away.

Preparing Driftwood

bought some mopani wood for my tank today. i would like to be able to put it in my tank by saturday afternoon. How should i soak it? boiled water or normal?

:thanks:

Hello Fish...

Boiling the wood is work and damages the fibers that hold the piece together. Just my experience. I rinse it well in the sink and put it out in the sun for a few hours. Then, it's tank ready.

Pretty easy.

B

I boil 1 hour each side (if the wood is that long) and then let it sit in the sun for about 4-5 hours and have never had an issue with the fibers, or the driftwood falling apart.

I boil 1 hour each side (if the wood is that long) and then let it sit in the sun for about 4-5 hours and have never had an issue with the fibers, or the driftwood falling apart.

I agree 100% never had a problem, but these smoke blowers are quite entertaining

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree 100% never had a problem, but these smoke blowers are quite entertaining

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with that as well. I've been in the hobby for 6 years, doing it as a business for 3........ One of my show tanks still has a piece of driftwood in it from 5 years ago. One of the first tanks I set up!

Back
Top Bottom