how to stock my new 10 gallon fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kim_luvs_fish.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am getting a 10 gallon next month, maybe even sooner, but anyway i was wondering how to stock it once it is cycled. i was thinking maybe:
4 corydoras,
5 tetras(any small species) and 3-4 of live bearers or pygmy hatchet fish.
if this is OK then help me decide what kind of live bearer i should get or if i should get the pygmy hatchets. also what kind of tetra. if these fish aren't compatible, get too big, there are too many fish, etc., give me some more stocking ideas. thanks!

i am getting a 10 gallon next month, maybe even sooner, but anyway i was wondering how to stock it once it is cycled. i was thinking maybe:
4 corydoras,
5 tetras(any small species) and 3-4 of live bearers or pygmy hatchet fish.
if this is OK then help me decide what kind of live bearer i should get or if i should get the pygmy hatchets. also what kind of tetra. if these fish aren't compatible, get too big, there are too many fish, etc., give me some more stocking ideas. thanks!

Welcome!

As long as you stock slowly, I would say that you could keep 4-5 pygmy, hastatus, or habrosus cories; plus 4-5 pygmy hatchets; plus 5 small tetras like Embers. If you would prefer, you could try something like celestial pearl danios or Boraras spp. rather than the tetras.

Pygmy hatchets can be tricky to find. Make sure you get the pygmy species! LOL. Good luck with your new tank. (y)

I would just keep in mind with corydoras that most of the more commonly sold species get too big for 10 gal tanks. A lot of the teeny little cories you see at the lfs grow up into very active 3" catfish. Stick with the dwarfs that stay an inch or under. Personally, I would skip the livebearer and do another nano fish so you have a little mini community. If it were my tank, I would do 6 corydoras hasbrosus, 6 boraras brigittae or 4 pygmy hatchets, and 6 ember tetras :)

hi "Siva", thanks for your responce! anyway do you (or anyone) know if panda corydoras are small anough for a 10 gallon? i hear they get to about 1.5".

Panda cories reach 2" and are extremely energetic..IMO they are not suitable for a 10 gal tank. I've kept several types and sizes of corydoras and tried them in different sized tanks..I'll share with you the guidelines I go by for them now:

Under 1" like hasbrosus and pygmaeus - 10 gals and up
1" - 2" like julii and panda - 20 gals and up
2"+ like spotted, emerald, and albino - 29 gals and up

Back
Top Bottom