How to tell when your fish has passed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
I hate to even be asking this question.

He was swimming around a lot last night.

I'm pretty sure my sweet Betta is gone. He was lying on the bottom of the tank not moving for 15 mins. I unplugged the filter to see if the side to side swaying would stop and it did. No attempts at gulping in that time or since moving him to the cup.

I took him out and put him in a clean plastic cup with tank water. I'm 99.99% sure he's gone :'(

I'm very very sad, but also relieved that he's not sick and suffering any longer. I hated seeing him suffer. It was horrible.

I want to bury him but I don't want to yet in case theres a chance he's alive still. It's been about 45 minutes now since he went to the bottom. How do you know for certain when a fish has died?

It's been about an hour now. I'm sure he's gone :(

I'm thankful he's not suffering anymore though.

Sorry for your loss :( if he doesn't move when you touch him and his gills aren't moving then I would say he's passed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much.

I picked him up w a gloved hand. Nothing. Nothing when I netted him out of the big tank either.

Really sorry, I find it's hard to lose a fish I'm such a softie! When my first betta died last year i cried!

Thank you.

I've done some crying over the last 5 days. I bawled today for a bit.

I love him so much.

They're our little finned friends. It's ok to cry and feel sadness.

They're so personable, I really miss not having a betta.
At least your little guy was loved and cared for :)

Really sorry, I find it's hard to lose a fish I'm such a softie! When my first betta died last year i cried!

I lost a whole community tank. Sobbed until I couldn't talk. I hear you. Heck, reading this is making me tear up! I'm a big soft, overanxious fish mom

I lost a whole community tank. Sobbed until I couldn't talk. I hear you. Heck, reading this is making me tear up! I'm a big soft, overanxious fish mom

That would've been heart breaking, I'm bad enough when one passes never mind a whole community! That's sad.

One surefire way to tell if a fish is no more is to hold it out of the water and check the eyes. A live fish will always look down with at least one eye (always both eyes in a healthy fish). A dead fish's eyes will remain central and stare out.

Sorry you lost your fish. It is a shame betta are short lived.

One surefire way to tell if a fish is no more is to hold it out of the water and check the eyes. A live fish will always look down with at least one eye (always both eyes in a healthy fish). A dead fish's eyes will remain central and stare out.

Sorry you lost your fish. It is a shame betta are short lived.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom