How wide should a tank be, minimum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am thinking of instaling a tank in a wall. The problem is the wall is only 8 inches wide. Is it OK if the tank is that thin? Other two dimensions are almost unlimited, I was thinking of something like 3.5ftx2ft

Any ideas on how I could do it (where do I hide the filters, lights so that it is all well hidden)?

Thanx!

All the best,

J.

I would say something like a foot wide would be a minimum. There are not many fish that really care how deep the water is besides maybe angels. Surface area is what really counts.

I've heard your tank should be at least twice a wide of the length of your fish so that they have plenty of turing room. Maybe you could get a bunch of small, colorful, fish like tetras or something? OR, you could figure out a way to support a wider tank? It doesn't have to be flush with the wall (unless you have a couch below it and then you'd knock your head if that were the case...). Just some suggestions. HTH!

Yeah, I meant thick (not a native speaker, got confused witht he technical terms :))

[center:68fb121e1d] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Jon1! :n00b: [/center:68fb121e1d]

The real problem would be getting oxygen to the bottom of a tank that narrow. Check out the DIY forum and see what others are doing with wall tanks.

You could put a betta in your tank without any problems , the betta also takes its oxygen from the air outside.

If the tank needs to be flush with the wall in the room you are putting it in can it stick out on the other side and maybe build a partial stand on that side?

Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom