How worried should I be about exposed roots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N1NJ0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dumb question probably, and I'm pretty sure I know how to fix it, but I'd like some advice. It's actually a multi parter.

I have anubias nana growing on a piece of lava rock, it's doing quite well altogether honestly. It seems weekly I find a root, just hanging out, growing straight off the rock parallel to the "ground" and I keep pushing it down into the gravel (I even tell it "here you go little buddy this is what you're looking for" that works right?), but altogether there's at least 3 of these guys that keep popping up. Should I trim it? Should I get heavier substrate? I have eco-complete.

I have two Amazon swords, or at least that's what they look like to me lol. And every time I plant these guys they seem to slowly push themselves out of the gravel until just the tip of their roots (maybe a 1/4 inch or a little more) are showing. It's a little unsightly, and annoying. Is it hurting the plants? Are they really baby alien plants that are just super slow and they're trying to crawl out of my tank to kill me but they keep getting foiled by my incessant replanting?! Seriously though, is this just my eco-complete? It's extra lightweight. Will adding more help or hinder me?

I have a 20g lightly planted (for now) tank.

I have 2 inches of fluval stratum in my 10g and AFAIK, the Java fern never gets away.

Anubias nana don't need to have to roots "planted", they do just fine absorbing the nutrients from the water. I have one growing on a piece of driftwood 6 in from my substrate.

As far as the sword goes, it's definitely an alien. Haha just kidding. How deep is your substrate? 2-3 in is a pretty good depth. If it's too shallow it could be pulling out a little. Maybe next time you replant it, you could dig a little hole, spread the roots out, then bury them deep.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+ 1 ^^^ I have my anubias wedged in between rocks in my hardscapes. And the plant does fantastic!! My sword sprouts out ne leaves from the substrate every day it seems like

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Anubias nana don't need to have to roots "planted", they do just fine absorbing the nutrients from the water. I have one growing on a piece of driftwood 6 in from my substrate.

As far as the sword goes, it's definitely an alien. Haha just kidding. How deep is your substrate? 2-3 in is a pretty good depth. If it's too shallow it could be pulling out a little. Maybe next time you replant it, you could dig a little hole, spread the roots out, then bury them deep.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot! I'm thinking its maybe an inch or two, so ill add more substrate. Any advice on mixing substrates? Or should I get another 20lb bag of eco complete?

I'm a little obsessive so I'd put Eco Complete in. It doesn't matter though, just keep in mind the smaller substrate will settle to the bottom and the larger will move up.

Back
Top Bottom