hurt fish. help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koi-ninja

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a black ghost knife fish. He is rather young and thus small. Well when feeding (he is adjusting to the light well) I noticed someone bit off a good part of his tail!
I have 4 angel fish all fairly small and 1 koi about 6in big and fat alls with aN algae eater. Who would have done this to him?? And will he be OK?? He was swimming around fine but I'm worried. Thanks for any help you give.

he should be ok , if u can get some paraguard made by seachem it will help to keep the paracites out of the wound, other than that clean water will help most. i would guess it was the big angel or pleco

The biggest angel is only about 2in in size. The peco does like to hide in the same cave as the knife fish though. But I thought they were nonaggressive?

The biggest angel is only about 2in in size. The peco does like to hide in the same cave as the knife fish though. But I thought they were nonaggressive?

Do you mean the koi you mentioned is a cold water pond fish? If so then he is certainly the culprit. What kind of algae eater do you have? Bristlenose/Chinese algae eater/common pleco etc?

my tank is he did to roughly 74 degrees. Is just a common Peco. and before anyone goes on a rant the Koi will be moved to a Pond in the summer when he gets bigger.

Definitely the koi then. Some plecos can be cranky, but commons are usually fine- they certainly don't bite bits off fishes- they may split a pectoral fin or tail in a scuffle over territory with another fish, and I have heard that they may suck the slime coat of other larger fishes, but I have only experienced that with Chinese algae eaters.
74 is too low for the ghost knife and his immunity will be compromised. It will make recovering from the injury more difficult. If you don't have a quarantine tank I guess all you can do is very regular water changes with a bit of aquarium salt added along with the water conditioner. One benefit of using Prime is that it offers slime coat protection which some brands don't. Every little bit of help you can give him during his recovery will be a big help.

i would say one of the angels. i dont think the pleco would he would more or less ram any fish that bothers him. i had one koi with 2 angels, two honey gourami and a pleco. the koi never bothered anyone, even when i fish swam into him, he still did not cared he was about the same size as yours

Well sad news everyone. Whoever did it must have eaten the rest of him ): I can't find him and he is not in he's hiding spot.

Back
Top Bottom