Hurt Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
One of my original Zebra Danios seems to have hurt himself or got hurt and I was wondering if there is anything I can do about it. I bought the tank shortly before Christmas last year and he was one of 4 danios I got to cycle the tank with. I woke up this morning to find him swiming at an angle (his tail is down and his head is up) and one of his side fins doesn't appear to move properly. Is there anything I can do to help him recover or is he a gonner?

Is there white around the edge of the fin? If so, the fish probably has a bacterial infection adn should be treated.

What are yout water perameters?

sometimes companies do shotty jobs on fish caves, and will sometimes have jagged insides that will cut fish, but that doesnt sound like that.

you may need that is it malemax and primax? dunno spelling sorry

I don't see any dort of discoloration. The hurt one looks like all the other 2 except that he's swimming funny and one fin doesn't look like it's working. The water is normal (ph 7.0, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5ppm nitrate, kh 116.35 ppm, negligable gh).

If you see any kind of infection or fungus, dose with a combo of Pimafix and Melafix. They work best together.

Well, a new twist to my "hurt" fish. Yesterday night I saw him and he seemed to have white fuzz all over him. It doesn't look like ich because it's not spots. But as I've only had this tank for 8 months now, it's hard for me to tell. When I got home today, he was lying on the bottom breathing rapidly and not really moving. The other Zebra Danios in the tabk seem to racing around a lot but other than that, they seem healthy. All the other fish seem to be OK (tetras and plattys). Any ideas? Do I stick with the fungus medicine? I also have a pleco in the tank - anything I should be carefull about in choosing medication?

** edit **
Now that I look at the picture myself, it looks more like Ick. What is the recommended treatment for Ick these days? I've read about medicines but they apparently may hurt my Pleco. Temperature, salt?

Attachments

• danio_121.jpg
    danio_121.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 42
Looks like ich to me too. Most people, including myself, use heat to kill ich. Bump the temperature slowly to 87F and keep it there for about 2 weeks.

Does the fish still have the fuzz on him? The problem with fungal infections (the fuzz) is that heat will speed up their growth. If you do treat, you can try a heat and Methelyene blue combination. I've used it succesfully to treat body fungus. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom