Hybrid Cichlid Creation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So it was recently brought to my attention, by some un-named senior members, that hybridization is pretty much the bane of aquariums.

I had mentioned that i was going to possible switch out my male H. Carpinte for a Cygonattaus, which sparked a debate that wasn't really enjoyable. Especially considering that it was not actually occurring and merely a thought.

However, it was also suggested that if i wanted to breed hybrids (I'm not opposed to it, it wasn't my original aim though) then i should make it obvious. So instead of breeding the Carpinte and Cygonattaus together, creating a fish that looks basically looks the same but is impure, i should breed fish together to make a distinguished look not shared by other fish. So a Red Devil and a _______ or a Jaguar and a ________, to make something that looks very different from the parents and other fish and isn't confusable with other species.

This idea actually appeals to me, even though i understand most disapprove.

My question, then, is what species could i breed together to create something that is different?

Im ok with any answer pertaining to the larger-ish New World Cichlids. If something seems cool to you, or you think it would be a cool fish, feel free to say so.

Also, i know what selling these implies. *IF* i do so, then i would sell under what they were and not try to mislabel anything, regardless of circumstance. Im not even sure if i will attempt to do this project, it is for now, a hypothetical situation. However that may change in quick order. Im looking for suggestion, so feel free to say any that come to mind.

I understand the debate about hybrids, i know the opinions of both sides, and i feel that they are evenly balanced. I don't intend this to be a debate, which i fear it may be. If the gears shift in that direction, so be it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I would think a true red terror and green terror would be interesting, haven't seen one before , but I know that true red terrors are hard to come by.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also I've said it before, if your just breeding and keeping it contained it shouldn't be a problem.its not like your throwing fish into natural environments.

Well, if i need to get rid of them i can kill them in several ways, and i will either kill them or sell them if they are of decent quality. Again, this is still a hypothetical and i will not mislabel them.

But also, thats for the suggestion! Im not 100% sure if they are compatible though, it appears that most Centrals can breed with each other but South Americans are a bit more picky...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Any others?

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Well, if i need to get rid of them i can kill them in several ways

See this seems really unnecessary to me, why even attempt to breed something that the end game would involve killing? Culling of unhealthy gene pools in breeding is a necessary evil but I would never step into a breeding project if I was going to kill the resulting off spring.

That said, let's move forward.

First we need to break down which species even have a viable chance of producing offspring,

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/rules-of-hybridization-in-american-cichlids.475431/

This link should get you started. Next formulate a plan of why specifically you would like to hybridize, ie what features are you looking for and what type of results do you aim to achieve. You could breed for example to achieve the pattern of a green terror in a smaller less aggressive package. I would try to have an idea going in of what I wanted to accomplish, not just hey if I cross this with this what will happen. Just my opinion.

I'm not getting into the debate about this subject in this thread, though I think you know how I feel, so guys don't flame me for this, I would just like to participate in the discussion in a way that is respectful to layzor.

Central American cichlids are easy to breed from what I gather.

I think it would be great to mate two for a first generation hybrid, than keep the hybrid as a wet pet.

See this seems really unnecessary to me, why even attempt to breed something that the end game would involve killing? Culling of unhealthy gene pools in breeding is a necessary evil but I would never step into a breeding project if I was going to kill the resulting off spring.

That said, let's move forward.

First we need to break down which species even have a viable chance of producing offspring,

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/rules-of-hybridization-in-american-cichlids.475431/

This link should get you started. Next formulate a plan of why specifically you would like to hybridize, ie what features are you looking for and what type of results do you aim to achieve. You could breed for example to achieve the pattern of a green terror in a smaller less aggressive package. I would try to have an idea going in of what I wanted to accomplish, not just hey if I cross this with this what will happen. Just my opinion.

I'm not getting into the debate about this subject in this thread, though I think you know how I feel, so guys don't flame me for this, I would just like to participate in the discussion in a way that is respectful to layzor.

I wont kill them for no reason, i just meant to say that i am able to if needed. I know about culling the deformed or otherwise unfit offspring to have a healthier line of fish.

I will follow that link, as more info is ever helpful. Its obviously a pretty touchy subject so good information is difficult to find sometimes.

Again, thanks for not starting an argument, i know its tempting haha. I know what most people feel about this subject.

Really what I'm looking for in the fish is some vibrant colors and/or some funky patterns, other than that its all open.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom