Hydrometer problems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
I checked the sg of my brackish tank and i got a reading of 1.008 and then i checked it again just in case and my reading was 1.004. Is there something wrong with? It's a swing arm hydrometer.

Make sure to tap it a little after filling it to remove any bubbles that may raise up the arm, giving you a higher SG reading.

I gave up on the swing arm ones awhile ago. Now, the floating one is used and I just turn off the filter and float it in the tank for an accurate reading.

I too hated the swing arm hydro I got, for that very reason: back to back readings with radically different salinity. Used a floating bulb type because I had it left over from home-brewing, but that was annoying.

I love my refractometer now!

I also use a refractometer. I'd definately calibrate any hydrometer (especially the floating kind) against one, to find out how much they are off. I believe the floating ones are calibrated for temps in the 60s.

A refractometer can be found for as little as $40 to $50 in some places online. Definitley the way to go if you plan on keeping your brackish setup for a while. It's also a good idea to rinse your hydrometer in freshwater before and after every use to rid it of any salt buildup.

Back
Top Bottom