Hyposalinity is making the ICH outbreak even worst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luntiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does hyposalinity make ICH even worst during early stages of treatment? My pair of GSM Clowns got an even worst outbreak than ever before!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I really really hope they make it

I would maybe think about a Fresh Water dip, and start treating them with Cupramine, which is a copper based medicine. :wink:

The dip can give them some quick relief, and trust me the cupramine will clear ich up pretty fast. :wink:

Ehat are you using to measure your salinity? If your not using a refractometer, your likely not preforming hyposalinity.

Agree with both above, if you don't have a refractometer then skip the hypo and go straight to cupramine.

I do have a refractometer, treatment started a little late because I had to wait over a week to receive my refractometer. First signs of Ich began on the 1st and I didnt receive my refractometer until the 10th. During that time I slowly lowered the salinity down using a hydrometer and when I received the refractometer, I had to lower it down another .005 to get it to 1.009. Could it be that the treatment took too long? The temp has been at 82.

Also, around how many weeks before the last spot of Ich should "fall off"?

luntiz said:
when I received the refractometer, I had to lower it down another .005 to get it to 1.009. Could it be that the treatment took too long? The temp has been at 82.
These two points are your main cause for the heavier infestation. Without the proper level of salinity to combat the ich, the higher temp allowed the parasite to increase it's reproductive cycle quite a bit. Now that you have the refractometer, you should see some good results in less than a week. Might want to add some garlic extract to the foods. It will help repell new theronts while the treatment gets into full swing. Also be sure you are monitoring pH and alk daily.

Also, around how many weeks before the last spot of Ich should "fall off"?
Hard to say for sure but you shouldn't see anything on the fish after about 2 weeks from the day the salinity was at the 1.009

Stick with it, hypo works! (y)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom