I almost tried out another shrimp today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It was a marble shrimp. It looked like a big bamboo shirimp without a stripe. It was about three inches long. The question is, would the pictus rip him apart? There's no way he could eat this guy in one bite. I'm going to a few stores this weekend to try and find one that is bigger. The guy suggested I but a few live ghost shrimp to fill him up to distract him. They had feeder ones for 30 cents a piece.

So what happens when he gets hungry again. Huh? I want a shrimp!!!

Thing is...the pictus will get big enough to eat a 4" shrimp eventually. Do you really want to risk it???

For distracting fish, I opt to just feed them their usual flake and sneak the critter in while they're busy eating. Also...I agree with not feeding the live ghost shrimp. It'll give him a taste at live food and can sharpen aggression.

I would also like to comment that a 29 gallon tank is typically too small for the sailfin pleco, pictus and the red tailed shark. I'm not sure about the botia. Adult sizes on those fish are 9" to 12" or more on the pleco; 7" on the pictus and about the same (7") on the shark. Worse yet, they are all bottom feeders so they will be brawling each other for space as they grow and mature.

You're right. I think I'll have a 55 gallon before too long. I now have the heater and the filter in the one I have. All I need is the tank, stand and the gravel. The sailfin is getting big. I finally just identified him the other day. I've only had the shark for maybe a month an a half. He's the smallest fish in there, for now.

Well I'm getting a bigger tank for my birthday present to myself, so we'll see how big I can afford. I can't wait to set one up. When I bought him I didn't know any better.

My son won't dare let me get rid of him. He'd notice too. I moved a plant the other day and he knew. He's going to be five and he already wants to be a zookeeper. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom