I am ready to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vnv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two other threads but quick rundown. Started with 5gal tank (2 platies, one male guppy). Platy had fry 6 days after coming home. I learned about the nitrogen cycle. Bought a 55gal tank and started water changes on the 5 gal every 1-2 days. Bought Prime instead of the cheapo water conditioner I did have. All fry and one platy died.

Moved the remaining platy and guppy to the 55gal. Was doing water changes every 2-3 days, bought at testing kit.

Male guppy randomly got sick and died in the space of half a day.

Advice from that thread was I needed more fish to cycle a 55gal.

Today I bought 5 male guppies. TWO LFS recommended only getting one sex unless I wanted 1000's of fry. Which I don't.

All the community aquarium advice I have read online says fish like guppies, platy's and mollys are the ideal hardy, easy, peaceful, beginner aquarium fish.

These are death guppies. They are seriously aggressive and have done nothing but chase and harass my poor female platy, who isn't even brightly coloured (dull, dull orange with black speckles).

They fight with each other too.

Now I google aggressive guppys and see it is most common and males shouldn't be kept together without 2-3 females each to share the harassment around.

My poor deceased guppy was so gentle and friendly. Why do I have these death guppies now.

Will they calm down or will they always be like this?

What to do???

I have two other threads but quick rundown. Started with 5gal tank (2 platies, one male guppy). Platy had fry 6 days after coming home. I learned about the nitrogen cycle. Bought a 55gal tank and started water changes on the 5 gal every 1-2 days. Bought Prime instead of the cheapo water conditioner I did have. All fry and one platy died.

Moved the remaining platy and guppy to the 55gal. Was doing water changes every 2-3 days, bought at testing kit.

Male guppy randomly got sick and died in the space of half a day.

Advice from that thread was I needed more fish to cycle a 55gal.

Today I bought 5 male guppies. TWO LFS recommended only getting one sex unless I wanted 1000's of fry. Which I don't.

All the community aquarium advice I have read online says fish like guppies, platy's and mollys are the ideal hardy, easy, peaceful, beginner aquarium fish.

These are death guppies. They are seriously aggressive and have done nothing but chase and harass my poor female platy, who isn't even brightly coloured (dull, dull orange with black speckles).

They fight with each other too.

Now I google aggressive guppys and see it is most common and males shouldn't be kept together without 2-3 females each to share the harassment around.

My poor deceased guppy was so gentle and friendly. Why do I have these death guppies now.

Will they calm down or will they always be like this?

What to do???
Okay so first thing is this, the 55 gallon wasn't cycled, the nitrogen cycle can take up to a month in some cases so you should of left the guppy in the 5 gallon and just did water changes daily to keep the ammonia and nitrite locked with the prime while you started the cycling process on the 55 gallon.

So now you have to do water changes every day on the 55 gallon, do 30%-50% daily on the 55 to keep the ammonia and nitrite down.

What filter do you have on the 55 gallon? and are you running a heater? If you have a decent filter like a canister or an aquaclear (my recommendation) you can buy pre seeded media for it which will speed up the nitrogen cycle.

How do you do the water changes?
With a bucket?
If so I would actually go a little over on the prime here's an example, @40% that's approx say 15-18 gallons as you don't have 55 gallons of water and you only treat the amount going back into the tank but with the cycle I would add 2.0 ml for say 15 gallons of replacement water if you replace 20 gallons I would add 2.5 etc etc I would go 0.5 ml over, so in a 5 gallon bucket you would add approx 0.6ml per bucket before you add it to the tank, also make sure the water you're replacing is temperature matched to the tank, if you're using a python (hooks up to the sink) you dose for the whole tank so you would dump a cap full (5ml) into the tank after its refilled.

I don't recommend pythons as you can have big issues with them, Idk why but a lot of people do.

Can you give us your test readings?

I would not add anymore fish to the tank right now but yes you want a 2:1 ratio of females to male, alough you can get away with just having males.

Doing more research will make you great at this hobbies. Google is a great friend. That being said. I agree with potluck, water changes on your 55 test the water daily and water change when needed. Look up "Fish in cycle" so you understand more. There's alot to know about this hobby, but it gets easier when you understand it all. The biggest thing is to watch your fish. And don't stress them out in anyway. And if your tank don't have much in it (decoration) than fish will chase more too. When some people give advice on something that your not sure on. Look it up to make sure.

I understand it might be boring to stare at empty glass box for few weeks, but IMHO fishless is the way to go. And there are few ways to make it start even faster like seeding the filter media. Changing 5 buckets of water every day for weeks in that 55 will grind you down much faster then staring at empty box.

Many hobbyists can give many different advices, here is how I would approach your situation.
Since you already have fish I would rehome them into the smaller tank, you already have a 5gal, in my case it was a 5gal home Depot bucket and everyone survived in there for a week just fine. This will give you opportunity to cycle your big tank properly. Get hold of seeded media if you can, use the bacteria products, anything and everything. Keep feeding that tank (within reason) ,don't change water , keep good temperature, let the BB develop with all that surplus nitrogen . It should get going soon.

In the meanwhile in smaller tank don't feed to much. Less food - less poop. When I'm on low maintenance lazy mode my tanks get fed as little as one-two times a week. Fish will survive, in nature it's all they get to eat during some seasons. This will make it easier dealing with daily water changes (50% which means less then bucket) Not required but you can reduce temperature of the tank to slow down their metabolism. As I said mine were living in a bucket for a week without PWCs , without heater (so around 70F room temp), just a bubler when they first arrived and there was quite a crowd. Fed them few times too (noob mistake) luckily without bad consequences.

As for fry, these guys are sensitive. Even in best conditions not all survive. They need special food too, crushed flakes is not something that will sustain and grow them (look into hatching BBS later). If it makes you feel any better every one looses some fry sometimes, even coralbandit . I sure lost my share (feels really bad, yes)

I understand it might be boring to stare at empty glass box for few weeks, but IMHO fishless is the way to go. And there are few ways to make it start even faster like seeding the filter media. Changing 5 buckets of water every day for weeks in that 55 will grind you down much faster then staring at empty box.

Many hobbyists can give many different advices, here is how I would approach your situation.
Since you already have fish I would rehome them into the smaller tank, you already have a 5gal, in my case it was a 5gal home Depot bucket and everyone survived in there for a week just fine. This will give you opportunity to cycle your big tank properly. Get hold of seeded media if you can, use the bacteria products, anything and everything. Keep feeding that tank (within reason) ,don't change water , keep good temperature, let the BB develop with all that surplus nitrogen . It should get going soon.

In the meanwhile in smaller tank don't feed to much. Less food - less poop. When I'm on low maintenance lazy mode my tanks get fed as little as one-two times a week. Fish will survive, in nature it's all they get to eat during some seasons. This will make it easier dealing with daily water changes (50% which means less then bucket) Not required but you can reduce temperature of the tank to slow down their metabolism. As I said mine were living in a bucket for a week without PWCs , without heater (so around 70F room temp), just a bubler when they first arrived and there was quite a crowd. Fed them few times too (noob mistake) luckily without bad consequences.

As for fry, these guys are sensitive. Even in best conditions not all survive. They need special food too, crushed flakes is not something that will sustain and grow them (look into hatching BBS later). If it makes you feel any better every one looses some fry sometimes, even coralbandit . I sure lost my share (feels really bad, yes)

^^^+1^^^
Less food is less waste.Even food that is eaten turns into waste.
I do just like agrasyuk when my schedule gets tight..
I feed less if I can not be at the top of my game..
Many are overwhelmed in the beginning with all the cycle issues .
Once this is complete as painful or painless as it may be ,keeping fish after is a whole lot easier.
I still lose whole batches of fry and have albino swordtails 'boning me ' for the last 4 months ! I mean who can't breed swords !:facepalm::whistle::nono:
Quitting is not an option I enjoy the challenge !:banghead::blink:
You'll enjoy that 55 when it all straightened out ..:cool:

As for giving up DON'T I almost did when I lost 22/28 fish from columanaris, once your tank gets established and you can sit back and enjoy it, then you'll see why not quitting was worth it.

We all lose fish sadly but that comes with the hobby as all hobbies things go wrong, but once you fix that issue it makes that hobby much more enjoyable and teaches you how to fix problems when they arise.[emoji106][emoji106]

Rick,
You said people have issues with the Python, do you mean it can affect the fish negatively or just mechanical problems? I am about to order one and have used them in the past. I was also considering a pond pump. I need to save my back.

Rick,
You said people have issues with the Python, do you mean it can affect the fish negatively or just mechanical problems? I am about to order one and have used them in the past. I was also considering a pond pump. I need to save my back.
With a python you have to do the water change differently than a bucket, for some reason people have fish die left and right by using them and I honestly don't know why, unless they aren't letting the water gas off properly when re adding it to the tank, or maybe the water gets cold when re adding it, and also when you use a python you dose the whole tank with prime not just the amount you put back into the tank.

there's many videos online of people's fish dying from using them, I feel you on the back but I just use a smaller bucket now, it takes longer but it's worth it to me.

Maybe also the mass amount of un conditioned water going right directly into the tank it's just a speculation as I honestly do not know the exact reason and the persons that have had issues don't know either.

I don't use my python to add water to my tank, only drain it. For 2 reasons. My water turns cold if most of the hot water is used up in the hot water heater. (Older heater) and 2. because I'm too freaking lazy to clean the crap out of the hose area. Might be why people lose fish. The hoses get that black mold in them. I'd love to set up a pond pump for water changes. Lol! Save your back as much as you can. Nobody gets younger.

With a python you have to do the water change differently than a bucket, for some reason people have fish die left and right by using them and I honestly don't know why, unless they aren't letting the water gas off properly when re adding it to the tank, or maybe the water gets cold when re adding it, and also when you use a python you dose the whole tank with prime not just the amount you put back into the tank.

there's many videos online of people's fish dying from using them, I feel you on the back but I just use a smaller bucket now, it takes longer but it's worth it to me.

Maybe also the mass amount of un conditioned water going right directly into the tank it's just a speculation as I honestly do not know the exact reason and the persons that have had issues don't know either.
Interesting, never heard that. Using it just for draining and buckets for filling would help my back considerably. haha

Interesting, never heard that. Using it just for draining and buckets for filling would help my back considerably. haha
I have a bad neck so I understand, it has to do with the water not being conditioned as per say ammonia /copper /iron etc etc going directly into the tank without being conditioned because there's no way to add it while filling so you have to dose after it's already filled (if you have a 55 gallon and use a python you dose prime for 55 gallons no matter if you did 20%) would be my first guess (shock due to chemistry) , the next would be the water isn't gassing off when going back into the tank or finally temp fluctuations.

I would use one to siphon the tank but not refill

lI still lose whole batches of fry and have albino swordtails 'boning me ' for the last 4 months ! I mean who can't breed swords !:facepalm::whistle::nono:

In our neck of the woods only one of the big box stores offers a very limited amount of swordtails at a times, others have none. Didn't check the smaller guys, all are quite a drive from me and in the past I wasn't impressed with selection either. Quality of those swordtails available was also questionable, all velvets died within a week luckily without taking anyone else with them. wasn't sure really why, aclimated as usual.

So there must be at least some intricacies there.

I use my siphon to drain my tank, I drain it straight out the front door into my flower beds out front. Then I use the python to fill. I double dose the tank with prime for the entire tank volume and have been doing that for years. But I also run bleach through the python every once in a while Maybe twice a year? I keep a 5 gallon bucket just to rinse my filters floss with. Then I feed my house plants with the rest.

I use my siphon to drain my tank, I drain it straight out the front door into my flower beds out front. Then I use the python to fill. I double dose the tank with prime for the entire tank volume and have been doing that for years. But I also run bleach through the python every once in a while Maybe twice a year? I keep a 5 gallon bucket just to rinse my filters floss with. Then I feed my house plants with the rest.
That is very wise... Can't believe I never thought of that. Good lord! I have so many house plants I could sell them by clippings of a hand full. Lol! Thanks! Lol! I get to focused on my tanks and don't think about that kinda stuff.[emoji12]

I was looking into getting a python a couple of months back but instead I got a 25 foot tube to fit on my gravel vac and just siphon the water straight out my back door. Then do buckets to refill. It saved me about £60 and reduced the amount of buckets I have to carry in half but meant I'm still in complete control of the water going back in and I don't have to dose the entire tank.

I love my Python but have the advantage of living in the boonies on a well for the last 10+ years with ok water so no conditioning of water has been required - also won't keep fish that are fussy about their water parameters ? Rather like my flower gardens I buy the plants/fish that **should** do ok, give them a little extra TLC for the first little bit til settled in then day to day survival is their responsibility unless something unusual occurs

A guy made an Inline purifier that removes ammonia /nitrite and metals for a python so that no conditioner is needed, but I just don't trust them, I too water my house plants with my tank water and they grow absolutely crazy.

For water changes, we use water jugs that once held spring water or distilled water. Makes it pretty easy to haul back and forth from the sink to the tank. We even have our kids help. The 7 year old hauls the empty ones and the 10 year old hauls the full ones. We have made water changes a family job!

Very nice to teach the kids to take care of living things.
I don't have any 7 year olds or 10 year olds anymore, just an old lady with an iffy back lol.

I use a python siphon. I never use it to put water back in. I use a 5 gallon bucket for my big tank and a 1.5 gallon pot for my smaller tanks. This may seem tedious but I actually use a digital meat thermometer to gauge water temp. I'll run the water in the 1.5 gallon pot with the digital meat thermometer inside to match my tank temp. Then I add prime to the water in the pot. Then put it in the tank. I'm so good at this now I know where to position my hot and cold to get 77 degrees. The thermometer is just a double check. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom