I am the queen of free fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i too was a victim of feeder fish...my last one died this time last year, after i had gotten her and 4 others 11 years prior!

before my last two died, they were both 10" at least, they eat constantly, and need frequent water changes (i regret i never got them a massive tank though)

i could see your fish living humbly in a 10 gal for quite some time, depending on how they grow a year or more, i could see your fish living happily in a 55 gal when they get to 11 years

i personally wouldnt take them back, just because i'd know they'd be sold as a snack for a large oscar

although i know goldfish are a "cold water fish" i actually kept a heater in the tank for some time before i knew about this "cold water fish" thing

although people are gonna argue with me, i have 11 yrs experience, although it might not be the best thing if you want them to live 20 yrs, i honestly think they'd be fine in a tank with 76-78 degree water

btw make sure you have a good filtration system, and goldies with snack on anything that will fit in their mouth... i lost more plecos that way when i was younger

feel free to pm me with any goldfish questions

I'll just mention what I saw around the 4th of july...only because it sort of applies.

I was over at a freinds helping him with his 20g sw setup when his neighbor came over.We eventually went across the street to see his 125g fw tank.

The tank was severly overstocked imo,but I won't go into the details.
The one thing that stood out were the two huge goldfish.

I mean these were the biggest goldfish I had ever seen in a tank....heck,as far as any fw fish I had ever seen in a home tank these were the biggest.
It turns out these were feeders for the oscar that the oscar never caught.Now they are both bigger then the oscar and the oscar is a BIG one.

I only mention this because I have read that they need a lot of space many times,but its kind of hard to imagine when you see em at the store.This tank was a real eye opener as far as the gallons per goldfish rule.

All I could say was WOW.

man, and i have seen some full grown oscars.

I will defintly start looking into a bigger tank for them as they start to get bigger.

I talked to my fiancee and he agrees with me and is willing for a loarge tank, so long as I am willing to keep them.

OTOH, we were thinking of giving my parents a pond for a birthday present, so we may keep them as long as we can in the 10g and give them to my parents once we get the pond complete...hmmm...many different ideas going through my head...

I think it is a good thing that you are trying to get a proper tank for them. If it was me I would probably put them in a 55 gal tank for now and try to find someone who has a pond. Then put them in the pond where I think they will be happier than a home aquarium.

if it weren't for the fact that my 55 is full of tropicals, i would. But where the tank is placed, it is 78*, much to warm for them. I was able to put the tank they were in, close to the ac to keep it cooler for them.

Plus that, I don't have the $$ right now to go buy a 55. I leave for vacation in four days, and have to keep all of my money for that.

i was gonna say dont buy a new 55 gal with everything, just to have these guys get ich, and die in a week

i didnt know it at the time (i was young) but my goldies lived nicely in warm water, there very adaptable, hence they can live anywhere when released in the wild.

let us know what you decide, a bigger tank or a pond. It just might turn out that you get too attached to them and have to buy mommy a few new fish for her pond.. :) I think you will find goldfish to be a lot of fun. Very personable. and they will eat as often as you feed them... And they beg like puppies! (then again, so does my frog). Happy fish keeping.

hsherman1986 said:
if it weren't for the fact that my 55 is full of tropicals, i would. But where the tank is placed, it is 78*, much to warm for them. I was able to put the tank they were in, close to the ac to keep it cooler for them.

Plus that, I don't have the $$ right now to go buy a 55. I leave for vacation in four days, and have to keep all of my money for that.

I have a 40 gal with fancy goldfish. They don't get as big and the rule is usually 10 gal per fish. My tank is kept around 75*. They do fine in temps in the 70's.

Just keep them in the 10 gal tank for now and do plenty of pwc's. They will be fine for now. Much better than a vase.

heck, if my uncle still lived in his house with his pond, I would give them to him. But he moved a few years ago and hasn't built another pond yet.

I will keep you all updated. Right now, unfortunatly, though it may be cramped, they will have to live in the 10g for a while, just because it is either that, or the vase. I will not put them back in the vase. As they grow, i will upgrade them.

Just keep them in the 10 gal tank for now and do plenty of pwc's. They will be fine for now. Much better than a vase.

If you're willing to do the water changes and gravel cleaning, they'll be fine in the 10 for a while, while you look for a nice pond or make a choice about a big tank.

Well done on the fish saving. They are very lucky!

yea, getting ready to do a water change right now actually. Tank is kinda dirty from cycling, its time for a water change. (tank has been cycled for about two weeks).

Yay for the two hour project of water changes!! (8 tanks, no python yet)

if you print out the python cost online at petsmart and take it into the store, they'll only charge you the shipping fee plus tax with came to $52 instead of paying full price $65 + tax so you save $15

i just did my first pwc with a python, so easy as long as you know how many gallons your taking out

I'm not Mr. Gung Ho OMG TEH FISHES ARE GOING TO DIE!!! type of person, but even I can admit that using them as centerpieces is just stupid.

If you're going to use ANYTHING go with a guppy (since they can be fairly cheap) or preferably a betta. I can't think of much anything else that would be good for a small tank.

Wow! Too bad you got stuck with comets. They can get up to 2 feet long.

IMO, a 24" wide tank would be the absolute minimum especially for three, so a 120 or 180 gal tank should be ideal.

actually i think she found out it was a common

you people are going over board, has anybody ever seen a goldfish in a 120 gal tank...

considering it is in an aquarium, it probably wont exceed 10" and even that will take several years

hc8719 said:
actually i think she found out it was a common

you people are going over board, has anybody ever seen a goldfish in a 120 gal tank...

considering it is in an aquarium, it probably wont exceed 10" and even that will take several years

Regardless, comets and commons both get huge, with recorded lengths of 23"-24" respectively.

I have seen goldfish in over 120 gal tanks. Alot are kept in ponds that are usually in the 1,000 gal range.

And goldfishs' bodies can get deformed if not given enough space. You see that alot, especially when they are kept in bowls.

hc8719..please see my other post in this thread.Oddly enough,had I not seen that tank I would be inclined to agree with you.....but once you see it,you get it.

Ferret_Friend said:
I'm not Mr. Gung Ho OMG TEH FISHES ARE GOING TO DIE!!! type of person, but even I can admit that using them as centerpieces is just stupid.

If you're going to use ANYTHING go with a guppy (since they can be fairly cheap) or preferably a betta. I can't think of much anything else that would be good for a small tank.

I am still trying to figure out what you are talking about. I have read your post a few times, and can only understand the first part.

I do not agree with them being used as centerpieces, however I do not understand your last comment.

Would type more right now, but it is time for bed. I have to be at work at 10am, and it is already 2am.

I have witnessed several goldfish in a pond that exceeded 12 inches in size. If they are given the proper care and are housed in an appropriate tank, it is more than possible to have them grow to a larger size. Lets keep this topic civil or it will be locked.

Back
Top Bottom