I can get a 100 gal+stand and everything for free!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I called my lfs to inquire about prices on hoods for nano reefs (was thinking of starting one), and she told me: "Ah, now I recognize who you are. Tell you what, I know someone who wants to get rid of his tank. It's 60x20x20 inch. Here's his number."
This lady is always super friendly to me, it's a mom and pop lfs.

Anyways. Gonna call tonight to inquire about the tank!!! It's full of malawi cichlids and I have to take them as well, but maybe I can drop em of at my lfs. I don't have room to set this tank up right now, but I would be dumb to let go of this good deal. All equipment is included. I can store it in the garage, and my dad's moving anyway in a couple of months, so I'll have room to set it up there. :D

Yayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!I'm Excited!!!! :D :D :D

Just called the lfs and they are willing to take the fish in. They even want to hold them for me for a couple of months until I find room to set everything up, but I'm thinking of making that tank into a SA-theme tank :) So they can sell 'em and I'll get me some discus..........or altums........... :silly:

If you pay for shipping to the U.S., I'll consider it cJw :D
But I think it will be cheaper to buy yourself a brand new one then to pay for shipping from Europe on a giant glass tank :p

I could consider turning it into a reef...........now THAT would be nice! But expensive..... :(

So I called 3 times tonight, but noone is answering. Will try again tommorow. Apparently the woman who is giving the tank away is a lawyer. So in my logic that means: quality aquarium and equipment :mrgreen:

What would you guys stock a 100 gal tank with?

Well at least you are able to drive there yourself and get it lol! Congratulations!

*Moans* Another freshie finds an opportunity to go over to the other side. :roll:

That is a sweet deal Thomas...even I'm excited for you. A;though to be honest, I can't say that I blame you. :mrgreen: It's times like these that I wish you were my neighbor.

Note: Are you implying that lawyers are neat? Have you seen a lawyer's office? LOL

Thanks for your comments!
I'm going to try and arrange to go look at the tank this or next weekend. And If I like it maybe pick it up immediatly. Then I'll bring the fishies over to the lfs, and store the tank in our garage. Even if it has to sit empty for a few months, it's still a killer deal.

They don't sell allot of aquariums this size over here. And there is only one brand I can think of right now which has a complete setup that big. Have a look at this pdf file to get an idea of how it looks!!: http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/pdf/Rio_400_Pass.pdf
(Discus shown in picture not included :mrgreen: )

I'm not going to make it a saltie tank though..........remember, I'm on a student budget :) That is also why the lady at the lfs gave me this info on the free tank. She told me that she was holding on to it for young people who don't have a large budget, but who are really into the hobby. Lucky me!!!! :D
I am however seriously dreaming about a SA community tank. Some appisto's, angelfish, tetra's, plecos,....... 8O

Again, idea's for stocking the thing?

Dreaming........ o O (Fesitvums, Angels, Keyholes, Emperors, Rummy Nose, Cardinals, Black Neons, Belgian Flag tetras!!!!, Corydoras sterbae, Corydoras panda, plecos, otos, dwarf pencil fish!!!!!)

Wow I want a tank like that!

:D I can't think of anyone that could put it to better use Thomas. I'm really happy for you.

What is the tank maintenance like in a huge fw tank? I know that in sw you have clean-up critters but in fw you gotta do gravel vacs. Isn't large fw tank maintenance alot more than sw?

If I plant it heavily I won't be doing any gravel vacs. And I'll throw in some Malaysian Trumpet snails, who reproduce like crazy, and help put waste underneath the surface, so plant roots can eventually use it as food :p
And to be honest, I never do gravel vacs. Both the tanks I have now are moderatly planted, maybe 2/5 of the ground has plants growing on it. All water parameters perfect (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and less then 10 ppm nitrate). I don't see allot of dirt on the gravel, once in a while a plant leaf that is 'rotting'. But that's good, because it lowers my ph, which I need. :p (Not that some plant leaves rotting have any effect on it, since I have hard water, so large buffering capacity)
Works for me! My tank looks healthy, my fish look very healthy, my fish reproduce,...... so :p :lol:

I finally got a hold of the person who is giving the aquarium away. I haven't been able to arrange a time to go have a look yet (have to discuss that with my dad).

She described it to me: She herself had gotten it from someone else who had originally set it up as a SW tank. So all neccesairy thing are there to make it a SW tank :D

The stand is a metal frame, but sealed with black glass and doors in black glass. She says it actually looks quite neutral, not your typical wooden look or anything, but modern in a way. She told me something about the filter being a 15 gal tank underneath the main tank filled with filter materials. Sort of sump filter?

What do you guys think? Is it ok to take this tank?
It's already had 2 owners, so I'm just a little worried about it's condition. I'll have to wait and see.

Take the tank Thomas...take it or I'm coming to Belgium to have you checked over! LOL. Yes, this looks from all appearances like a very good tank. I would say that the 15gal is a sump/refuge, which is an added bonus! :D

Check it out, it will probably have holes drilled for the sump. If the owner can, see if you can take pics and show them. I'm sure a saltie will give guidance.*

*(But then, you will have to go over to the "other side"). :D :D

Take the tank Thomas...take it or I'm coming to Belgium to have you checked over!

Yes, sir! I'll take it sir! :D Wait and see....... :)

Check it out, it will probably have holes drilled for the sump. If the owner can, see if you can take pics and show them. I'm sure a saltie will give guidance.*

*(But then, you will have to go over to the "other side").

I will definetly take pictures of the tank when I go to have a look. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to go over to the 'other side', but that's too expensive. I am however becoming more and more worried about being able to set it up any time soon. Went to have a look at the house my dad is really considering buying, and there will be ALLOT of construction work going on the first year or so. So not ideal to place a tank.
My mom told me I can have it in my room. I could make room for it, but next year I'm of to college and only home on weekends. (This year I'm in college as well, but taking the train every day to go there and back home.)
*Sigh* :roll:

i'd take it anyway
put it out the back, mass feeder tank
I would need another tank to put someone in who would actually take feeders. :p

Back
Top Bottom