I dont think I`m supposed to have a aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plkdb

Aquarium Advice Activist
I`ve wanted a SW reef aquarium since I was a kid, but was never allowed to have one. My parents always told me too much $ and too big of a tank. Finally got married, convinced the wife to let me buy one. Everytime I get ready to buy something, something comes up that needs the money I save for it. Now, I find out I`ve got orders to go to England. Cool, but if I accept them, I leave in 8 months, which means the aquarium will have to be tore down before that, which best case scenario, leaves me with 5-6 months enjoyment after cycling and stocking.

I dno what you want out of this, but maybe advice? I would not do it myself, my tank is not quite 5 months, and I feel it is sooo young, I cant wait till its one, then I can call it a reef

No, the only advice I would be looking for is whether or not to take it with me, or buy one there. Other than that just complaining. :wink:

ok lol, I figured that was the case, well complain away, I can somewhat feel for you considering when I move, thats the end of my aquarist career until I settle down

Question is, How long will you be in england? Is it a permanent move? are you career air force? Or just waiting for your tour to end? all this would have to be considered.

Also is it cheaper over there? If you buy it here will the Gov pay to ship it there?

Lots O thinking ahead.

P.S Don't kbow what your position is in the force, but Thanks for fighting for our Freedome.

Tim.

Well I already bought the tank, stand, and canopy. (thats a story in itself). I`m not sure what the prices are over there. I think they will move something like 5,000 lbs if memory serves. I`ll find out soon. I havent seen it in writing yet, but my flight chief told me its a extended long tour, so 3 years. After that, I may return here, or end up somewhere else. A lot of people tend to return here to Hurlburt Field, just because its home of AFSOC. Air Force Special Operations Command. I`m in a pretty small career field, not many bases service my aircraft. The MH-53 helicopter, I`m a crew chief on it, so I`m responsible for all of its maintenance. Thanks Tim, that really does mean a lot.

P.S Don't kbow what your position is in the force, but Thanks for fighting for our Freedome.

I feel the same way, except im in total awe of the MH-53 chopper deal, I love helis, they have fascinated me since I was very young, I am building an RC chopper right now to be honest, maybe I can consider myself a maintenince guy on that... jk jk

I am in the military also stationed in germany. I was very picky when they moved my 2 tanks. I even took out insurance on the 2 tanks along with some other stuff. Take pictures of your tank before they move it. That way you can prove there was no cracks in the tank or leaks. Makes it a whole lot easier to claim if they do break it.
Good luck in England

I too was military (Army). I too have always loved and had aquariums. I too always wanted a reef. unfortunatley they won't ship any livestock for appropriate reasons. But now that i'm out and permanently set so great reef is in order. Congrats on orders to England. I'm sure you'll love it. I was Army Air traffic so helos were a major part of my career. The 53 is an awesome bird. I would take your equipment (provided you can spare the weight but it shouldn't be problem) You never know. Maybe a reef isn't in order when you get there, but a fish only tank i'm sure will be an option. like ski said take a coupe of pictures, as i would with all things you let the military ship over. Just a good idea from experience.

Just like every one else here, I am appreciative of all those that still serve. Freedom isn't free, and all those defending it make great sacrifices. Sacrifices all the way down to owning a reef. So, thanks for those sacrifices and keep it mind, albeit hard to do, that a time will come for reward for your patience and service. Godspeed and thanks for your continued service to our great nation!

I hadn't thought of the livestock limitation. IMO, that may be the limiting factor. If your tank is still young then you're probalby not too attached to the things you have in there, you could probably bring yourself to selling them off to other local reefers or the LFS if no other option is present. But consider your return trip at the end of your tour in the UK. Any livestock you've acquired over the 3 years you will again be forced to abandon as you won't be able to bring that back to the US either. Yes, 3 years is a long time to go without a tank :| but I think it depends on what you're willing to put yourself through knowing you can bring all your equip, but will have to always leave behind the livestock.

Of course, this is all talking out of another orrifce besides my mouth :wink: I would check with those who actualy enforce the regulations and see what limitations you have on "taking pets" with you. keep in mind that's a long flight, you'll want to take extreem care preparing your livestock for that long of a trip while packed...

Maybe I`ll consider taking it after I do some research on what all can go, my weight limitations, etc. Right now I dont have any livestock, just a empty tank, a canopy, and a stand. Had been dragging my feet trying to decide what direction to go with it, and having a wife isnt cheap :lol: I think I read something recently where they changed the rules about moving, so its full replacement value if something is damadged if the government moves you. Hey Ski7895, what size tanks did you move?

Back
Top Bottom