i found a hitchhiker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i found one single snail in my tank.
just one.
i dont know if hes good or bad?
can someone post pictures of the good ones or bad ones?
i tried for a while to get some and you cant even see him.
its been like month since i added plants and i have not seen anything else really in that time.
i have added fish. but there was nothing in the bags but fish.
i hope he is good. hes cute. lol
:)

It could have been an egg on the plants. Post a picture and maybe we can tell you if its a good or bad one. Most won't eat plants. I have pond snails (very small) and ramshorn snails (about the size of a dime) and they eat dead plant matter and leftover food.

As long as you don't overfeed, snails won't get out of control. Its almost always certain that you will get some from live plants. I've heard of people dipping new plants in Potassium Permegate (used to rid of snails and other bugs on new plants) and still getting snails in their tank.

i used tank water and wiped every leaf and every root and everything off before i put them in. i heard about bleach to clean them but was to scared to.
so i didnt.
well heres a pictures.
my fish kept getting in the way until the snail started hiding again

hopefully this picture is good enough for someone to tell me if its good or bad

Hello KY'sMommy
I had the opportunity to work in a water treatment plant and the tecks there had a hell of a time with snail eggs getting through the filters. I also heard the tecks talking about upping the chlorine dosage to rid the water supply of the little invaders. So I guess they could survive a nuclear war. :lol: Good luck I am shure if they get bad you will be able to gat a loach of some type. They love the snail folk.

I've had weird experiences w/snails. I added live plants to two of my tanks. In my 29 I've just got cherry shrimp that I'm trying (unsucessfully) to breed. The snails have pretty much taken over the tank. Not that that's a bad thing though because I pick off a net full of them and feed them to my convict who then loves me all the more.

In my 55 I was convinced I had no snails at all. Then I noticed one the other day (about 4 weeks after adding the plants). He's the only one I've seen so there must be some fish in that tank that's preying on them. My guess would be the bristlenose pleco. The other fish I've got just don't seem the type - Buenos Aires tetras, black skirts, glo-lites, Von rio tetras, and cories.

Back
Top Bottom