I found an up and running SW 46G used

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
If I bought it, how do I move it? It is at least an hour + away. I haven't bought it yet as after thinking about it, don't know how to get it home. LOL

:confused:

The rocks are stacked 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up high.

FW I would just drain down and throw it in the back of my vehicle...with fish inside. But won't it damage the living things on the top rocks not having water on them for an hour or two, take-down traveling and put up time? Would I need to unstack it and take it separately...in a tub

Also as a side note, I will be moving across town within a month, is it unadvisable to move the SW tank two times in a month. This seemed like a good price, I was just really looking for a tank only to do my own, but all that stuff costs quite a bit of money separately!!! New to SW too...:whistle:

Please HELP with your comments, and is this a bad idea?

It has been running for a year and comes with/ has one clown fish, ruby crab and other crab maybe spider crab, a snail and 4 shrimp 2 fire, cleaner and a peppermint, and hermits, the other fish are going into the sellers new bigger tank.

There are live rocks ..."established copepod colony. Groups of pulsing zenias and various mushrooms, zoas, pallys, sponges, and assorted other soft coral."

Sand lights pumps stand, canister filter fluval 405 skimmers, timers etc. For $250. Which I think is a good deal. Is it?

For moving it use totes and plastic buckets. Keep rocks submerged. Empty tank as much as possible.
Any chance of making a deal to pick it up after you move? 1 move is better than 2 for the fish.

I don't know for sure... maybe be able to move in as soon as two weeks, waiting for all paperwork and closing to complete. Only the one real fish, is the clown. It is a sale with person I don't know so I hate to give deposit and have them sell it to someone else!

Just was hoping I didn't have to tear everything apart for traveling and upset the living stuff on the rocks. Other than water params, are most of the living stuff on the rocks sensitive and/or delicate to rearranging or traveling in totes?

I just did this last Sunday with a 65 gallon tank, went in prepared with four 5 gallon buckets and two 25 gallon totes, a station wagon and a utility trailer. the process took @ 6 hours total. the 2 hour breakdown involved as much talking as working, pulled off lids and light (so what do you feed and how often?) siphon water into totes put live rock into filled totes (how long has this tank been established?) fill 5 gallon bucket with water and start catching fish( how well do all the tankmates coexist?) place airline in bucket with fish and shop vac out remaining water and dump it, grab another bucket shop vac out sand and pull all remaining equipment and start loading, tank in the back of the wagon with all accesories then totes with live rock and the stand in the trailer drive 38 miles home and do it all in reverse only ended up having to mix @ 20-25 gallons of water to top off tank as I putall the water from the totes back in the tank with the fresh mixed water and then did a 2-2.5 hour drip acclimation put fish in and voilà my first salt set up, I let the fish settle for about an hour and then fed them they all came out, they all ate, they've all been happy since then. it seems pretty daunting at first but it's not that difficult if you prepare ahead of time, I think the best thing I did was I took along a power inverter and a strong air pump to keep fresh air and water movement abundant while the fish were in the bucket, best of luck I hope things go your way

Thank you for the walk-through! Congrats on the fish eating and looking happy!

I spent about 1.5 hours in a reef fish store in Greeley today (they are coming up into a larger internet presence so have a few REALLY nice things $500. Anenome). Asking questions about things, fish, rock and corals of all kinds and getting an idea what might work for me. They were all soooo helpful even though I told them I wouldn't be spending tons of money since I have such a small amount to spend for this.

The best advice was that I probably would want a nice LARGER tank after a year, since most people have SW fever when then get their first tank in a happy place. :dance: LOL

The tank size 46G was said to be a great starter size.

I haven't heard back again from the seller so I maybe missed my opportunity. If so, there will be others...

Since I will be moving, I don't mind if so since then it will be only one move for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom