I got ick! or ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colossus3200

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it safe for te fish to raise the temperature while the in the tank? i dont have a hospital tank. My inhabitants are 2 skunk clowns, 3 damsels, to pecular(nemoe), 1 yellow tang, 1 snowflake eel, 1 firefly, 1 cleaner shrip, 1 anemone, 1 puffer, 1 star fish, and a pink fish that i cant remember the name of.

please i need help quick! :(

yup you can rase the temp but not too much little bit at a time, but only to but dont go about 87deg faren / 30deg cel then it becomes to stressful for the fish.
However you do know that this is not going to kill ick just speed up the process right.

to kill ich you need cooper but being that you have inverts thats out of the question.

good luck

Raising the temp does nothing but speed up the life cycle of ich. It will not kill off the parasite.

2 100% scientifically proven cures for ich are hyposalinity and copper. Anything else is a crap shoot, but inverts will not survive either of these treatments.

where can i get copper? im planning on getting rid of my inverts anyway and just doing a fish only tank. besides i have more money invested in fish than inverts.

also i will update my info soon. sorry ive been really busy the last couple days.

DON'T put copper in your tank! You never know what other inverts you will need later on like snails, hermits, shrimps, etc. to help cleaning up the tank. You will probbably decide to go reef later on (almost everyone wants to go reef after a few weeks/months into the hobby). Plus, if you ever decide to get tangs/surgeonfish for your feef, copper will be a problem.

Good article. Did you see this part?
I am the curator of a 41000 gallon marine tank and we treat all incoming fish regardless of species (except sharks of coarse) with copper sulfate for 30 days and praziquantel for 10 days. Tangs are not bothered any more than other species by copper as long as levels do not exceed .2 ppm

I just finiished treating my fish with copper for ick. I hasn't seemed to effect my tang but it did cause my green chromis to become blind. Copper is a poison and it can effect the health of your fish. i found out the hard why and my fish are suffering for it

Copper is a poison and it can effect the health of your fish.

I couldn't agree more. That is why it's a must that copper treated water be tested daily with the proper test kit. Mardel recommends maintaining a level between 1.5ppm - 2ppm when using CopperSafe.

Back
Top Bottom