I Got Worms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breezyrae

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, just wondering if anyone could validate if these are worms and if so what kind and should i be worried? I think they are babies, found them in my sand bed.

ForumRunner_20111128_140248.jpg

ForumRunner_20111128_140317.jpg

ForumRunner_20111128_140339.jpg

ForumRunner_20111128_140355.jpg

hard to tell from the photo, but i would say some sort of bristle worm. I have quite a few in my new tank, but for the most part, they stick to the rocks.

I've read that they are, in general, more beneficial than detrimental to your reef tank.

I'm pretty new to the hobby though so maybe someone with more knowledge than me may chime in.

With a deep sand bed like you have they are very beneficial. They eat the food that manages to fall to the sand bed and as they move through it they actually turn it over slowly.

Awesome thanx guys! Yeah they just popped up outta no where! I also had a baby snail crawling on my glass, which I was super excited about lol

Your Worms

when the bristle worms get larger DONT touch them with bare hands. The bristles will go in your skin and go septic. Take care with them. I usually get rid of them with tweezers when I see them. you only need to move a bit of rock sometime with one on it that you dont see and your in trouble

it's hardly as extreme as stevieduk says in most cases. i've been poked by bristle worms a thousand times and never had any infection or issue other than what you might find when handling fiberglass insulation.
also, the babies have the spines just like the adults do.
those worms will move and help aerate the sand bed. they are definitely beneficial.
i would never remove a common bristle worm. they do not eat corals or fish (unless they are dying/dead) and eat all of the same things you go out of your way to purchase a "cleanup crew" for.

only a warning, when they get to around 5 or 6 inches long in your tank, I used to be a diver on the oil platforms in Nigeria and these things were all over the reefs an the sandy bottom. we had a few people in sick bay caused by rubbing against them. just a little care is all im saying

the only way they get to be 5 or 6 inches long is because they have an abundance of food. that's a bad thing in a closed system. if you are allergic to them, then you may have a bad reaction, but it's certainly not the norm.
these are close relatives to the earthworm. they have some tiny spines up and down the sides of their bodies for protection. not a big deal at all for most of the reef keeping community.

Awesome thanx mr x  I would hate to know what it would be like to be allergic to them! Those are the only 2 I have came across and it doesn't look they have moved yet. what do I do if I get stung?

???

Cant be the same species of Bristle worm that I know then , these have hairs like rose thorns and live in holes in the rocks, not burrowing in the gravel, they will also kill a fish if the get one at night when its dark and the fish park up for the night , especially sea horses

i would put some crazy glue gel on the spines in your finger, wait till it dries, and then rip off the crazy glue and out come the spines. others say vinegar dissolves the spines and neutralizes the toxin.

Cant be the same species of Bristle worm that I know then , these have hairs like rose thorns and live in holes in the rocks, not burrowing in the gravel, they will also kill a fish if the get one at night when its dark and the fish park up for the night , especially sea horses
no common bristle worm will kill a healthy fish or sea horse. there are many worms out there though.
here are a few:
Worm Hitch Hikers

I have only 2 bristle worms in my 24 I can find however they are about 6 inches long. In 28 tank I have several small ones but they are not all over I see about 6 when I feed. I am very cautious moving things around in my tanks because of them.

If you get on on you it will leave bristles and they do hurt. Some use duct tape to get them out but I find that irritates my skin so I just do a soak in vinegar and it helps dissolve them, The area is a little swollen and red for awhile it isn't a big deal I have had worse problems with a wood splinter at work.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pdfguides/first_aid/wilderness-bristleworm-sting-treatment-61563.pdf

Thanx Joy!! Yeah I'm most Definetly gonna be more cautious. And so far it's just those little ones I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom