I hate thieves!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beengirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well my merry Xmas is not going so well right now. Found out today that my debit card number was stolen and someone went on a $1200 Xmas shopping spree on me yesterday. So my account is frozen while the bank does an investigation, which they said can be 2 weeks with it being the holidays and bank is closed for those days.
Just an FYI for those of you who use the card readers at the gas pump. the bank said they call those things "card skimmers" cuz somehow people can pull card numbers from those things and then they run a small amount ($3 in our case from new jersey) and if the transaction goes through, then they sell the number. Most people don't notice the small transaction, and then next thing you know, someone has gone on a shopping spree with your card. The bank lady said to pay inside at the gas station with cash or card there, not at the pump.
Just wanted to let everyone know that cuz I've never heard that before.

That's awful for you, don't know how people have the nerve to do that. Does the bank know which place stole from you? I hope they sort it out for you & quickly. Sorry to hear that.

I remember when we stayed in our villa in Spain, went out for the night and they stole my money, card and new iPad. As well as clothes shoes and some other stuff. I know how you feel!

I remember when we stayed in our villa in Spain, went out for the night and they stole my money, card and new iPad. As well as clothes shoes and some other stuff. I know how you feel!

Wow!! I think yours was worse, at least I have clothes and shoes. Lol.

Yuck!! That happened to me with my first ever credit card that I got from a holiday worker at a Macy's then got collections calls from a shopping spree in a town I'd never been to! Crooks are everywhere!

You will be absolved! Don't worry dear. Sorry for the damper on the season, remember to celebrate the good people in your life and forget the weirdos.

Merry merry smiles to u and your fishies!

Some partially good news on the theft episode!! We've gotten back some of the money from the bank, still waiting on another $257, but it's a start!!! :) This has just been a mess. And I'm still waiting on a new debit card, so can't use ATM or use debit card, have to actually go into the bank and get cash, then worry about not Going over that amount cuz i cant go to the atm to get more. Which to a lot of you, that might sound stupid, but I never actually go into the bank but maybe once a year. :) anyways, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully our cards will be here this week or next and we'll get the remaining $257 back this week (fingers crossed). Cuz I want a new fish since my anthias died!!

A past business partner of my Dads lost his business (not personal mind you) but business credit card in a bar one night. Since the bank is used to high charges on the account anyways they didn't catch any odd transactions right away. Two women had picked up the card and had a good ole time with it on the businesses expense. Needless to say that 9,000 (yes I said nine thousand) dollars later the bank finally decided to make a phone call and freeze the account. How someone could blow through $9,000 in a matter of two days is beyond me but alas I guess it can be done

Today I realized that somehow almost $700 has been withdrawn from ATMs from my savings account. No idea how, either, since I still have the card. But the bank knows and I've had my card cancelled. Ugh. No purchases that I've noticed, just withdraws.

There have been reports of people rigging the ATM slot to scan the card. It can also apparently be done to the slots in store card readers. Can't remember exactly how it worked but basically they are slipping something into the slot to access the info on the magnetic strip. I am so sorry this happened to you. I once had a theft ring get ahold of my purse. Long story short after a month of researching details, I found who was responsible. Had all kinds of proof. Stores ready to go to bat for me. Bank just wanted to "write it off" and not prosecute. Then I "tested" the bank by going through the drive through to withdraw (since I was now afraid the thieves would hit the new acct with my dl and ss#) from my new acct i just opened and that I needed my ss #. I said I didn't have it. They actually said just tell us then. (orig was in stolen wallet-lesson now learned). I was really po'd and switched banks after that. Horrible feeling especially because my keys were stolen as well. They were found on the side of the road by a good Sam who called the number on them I had on the keychain. So I feel for you.

We just last week got a letter from the bank saying that they finished their "investigation" and that they know that it was stolen and "sorry for any inconvenience this has caused". It took 2 months. That seems like a long time to me, but I've never had this happen before, so I could be wrong.

Good to hear! That must have been a stressful wait and see..

If u use a pc always install software updates promptly. These updates can tip off "malicious hackers" to existing flaws in software thus allowing them to create malware to utilize your computers weaknesses almost immediately

We just last week got a letter from the bank saying that they finished their "investigation" and that they know that it was stolen and "sorry for any inconvenience this has caused". It took 2 months. That seems like a long time to me, but I've never had this happen before, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, I got my "come in and sign this paper and we will fix everything" letter yesterday. Gotta get a new debit card too.

Two months is a long time...

As an aside I work for a local bank here. We firmly believe in prosecution. While it may cost the bank, security and peace of mind for us and our customers is a top priority.

We have and will continue to send people to jail for fraud and theft. When you mess with someone's money, you are messing with their lively hood.

Cops come knocking on my door, 3am.... I'm half asleep, I lived in South Yonkers (where DMX grew up) I had a hooked up 1994 Honda Accord deep red. It was slammed to ground, had engine work, suspension work, you name it, it had it.

Anyway... Cops ringing the doorbell, knocking on the door. My mom is yelling at me! "Dino!! Someone's at the door!!" (She won't answer the door and I don't blame her)

I peek out the dept window and see 2 marked Yonkers PD cars and 1 NYPD marked cars. I'm like what the... True story, so I'm thinking "did I do ANYTHING in the past few days?! Hmmmm...." Nothing came to mind so I answer the door.

I swear this is it...

Cops: Mr Dino Del Signore Jr
Me: yes
Cops: where were you tonight
Me: home why
Cops: you sure about that son
Me: no I'm not sure, yeah I've been home all night what's up
Cops: do you own a red 1994 Honda Accord
Me: oh man.... Yeah!! It got stolen right
Cops: well if its your car yes it was stolen and was used in a felony crime
Me: ok and... Where's me car
Cops: someone was shot
Me: I hope it was (can't say it) that stole my car
Cops: no sir but this is serious
Me: well... I've been home so.....

Now my mom walks other and explains to the cops I've been home etc etc etc.

Turns out a local gang member stole my car, went to Bronx on a joy ride and and shot a guy in front of a bodega!! Needless to say I was mad as hell. I had to get dressed and go down to the police station, show proof it my car and all that.

The anti crime/gang division told me I couldn't have the car because it was used in a crime and I wouldn't want it back anyway because they would (the gang members) be looking for it for revenge and weren't going to stop to see who was driving if you know what I mean.

So... That's pretty much the end of my story. Probably boring after all these years lol. But buddy's still get a kick outta hearing it lol.

Cops come knocking on my door, 3am.... I'm half asleep, I lived in South Yonkers (where DMX grew up) I had a hooked up 1994 Honda Accord deep red. It was slammed to ground, had engine work, suspension work, you name it, it had it.

Anyway... Cops ringing the doorbell, knocking on the door. My mom is yelling at me! "Dino!! Someone's at the door!!" (She won't answer the door and I don't blame her)

I peek out the dept window and see 2 marked Yonkers PD cars and 1 NYPD marked cars. I'm like what the... True story, so I'm thinking "did I do ANYTHING in the past few days?! Hmmmm...." Nothing came to mind so I answer the door.

I swear this is it...

Cops: Mr Dino Del Signore Jr
Me: yes
Cops: where were you tonight
Me: home why
Cops: you sure about that son
Me: no I'm not sure, yeah I've been home all night what's up
Cops: do you own a red 1994 Honda Accord
Me: oh man.... Yeah!! It got stolen right
Cops: well if its your car yes it was stolen and was used in a felony crime
Me: ok and... Where's me car
Cops: someone was shot
Me: I hope it was (can't say it) that stole my car
Cops: no sir but this is serious
Me: well... I've been home so.....

Now my mom walks other and explains to the cops I've been home etc etc etc.

Turns out a local gang member stole my car, went to Bronx on a joy ride and and shot a guy in front of a bodega!! Needless to say I was mad as hell. I had to get dressed and go down to the police station, show proof it my car and all that.

The anti crime/gang division told me I couldn't have the car because it was used in a crime and I wouldn't want it back anyway because they would (the gang members) be looking for it for revenge and weren't going to stop to see who was driving if you know what I mean.

So... That's pretty much the end of my story. Probably boring after all these years lol. But buddy's still get a kick outta hearing it lol.

Man, that sucks. Sounds like a sweet car, too. I'm lucky in that all that's ever been stolen from me is money, even though my place has been broken into like 5 times. Once or twice they took some prescription medications, too, which really suck to get replaced. I'm guessing they were looking for a quick getaway without being loaded up carrying stuff. Computers, video game systems, my iPad, and my boyfriend's $800 bass have all made it through the burglaries. This is the second time I've had to deal with fishy ATM withdrawals too. If someone stole my car, though.... Oh man I would be mad. It's nothing special but I love it all the same. Although at the moment if they managed to get it out of my driveway I'd be impressed. It's got a flat tire and a bent axle.

Edit: this theft plus my car not running has now taken its toll on my fish! Power got shut off because I couldn't pay the bill because I dont have a debit card or a way to get to the bank today. So I guess I'll be pouring water in and out of the tanks to keep them aerated. Yay.

I am so sorry. Really feel for you.

Convict, I knew there was something about you I liked. Hondas are awesome, especially red ones. I've had red ones (and one white one)but not tricked out like yours. So I can appreciate where you're coming from.

Big banker- I wish the bank I used to have cared like yours does. I did all the footwork and they refused to prosecute, so my hands were tied.

In other thievery news, one of my email accounts (the main one grrr) was hacked about a week ago, and weird emails were being sent to all my contacts.

Back
Top Bottom