I have a stocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wondering if I could house tiger barbs and crayfish or fiddlers together? I know you can get away with fast swimmers like danios and such. From what I have seen; tiger barbs are pretty quick, but are the quick enough? I dont plan on having any other bottom feeders. Also, how are crayfish or fiddlers in a planted tank? I dont know my tank size yet. Its for my paludarium (dont worry I will update my build thread shortly). Im going to guess that is 15-20 gallons, I will measure more accuratly soon.

I dont want many crayfish, one or two at the most.

They are still likely to get eaten. Crayfish are opportunistic. They are content with waiting on the prey to come to them. Eventually, the tigers will get comfortable with the crayfish and then one is likely to be picked off as lunch until all your fish are gone.

Yep, with as brave and curious as Tiger Barbs are, I'd expect them to approach the crayfish and quickly be made snacks...

But I've never kept a crayfish ;)

The crayfish we had in our 120 would try to grab a hold of anything that swam past them (including our 9 inch pleco, didn't work out well for the crayfish) they never tried to eat anything, just tried to catch it. There's giant danios, tiger barbs, clown loaches, jewel cichlids, JDs, and various catfish. It they did catch something, it was able to get out of the claws.

Hi!
I wouldn't put any fish with the crayfish. They don't chase fish, but just grab for them when they swim by. The fish would be living in fear and wouldn't be able to swim freely. If they don't get caught during the day, Crayfish are known to catch fish while they are sleeping. Why take the chance? If you really want fish, don't get the crayfish.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom