I have black algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayfish4544

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just start my fist salt water tank it's about month old and I am see a think black layer of algae I think that what is in back of my tank on top love sand good or bad hope it's nothing bad

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it a thick, slimy coat? Is it easily blown away? Sounds like cyanobacteria. This is a sign of poor water quality, or excess nutrients in the water column.
This can come from feeding too much, using tap water instead of ro/di water, and not having enough flow in the tank.
There are articles in my signature that discuss addressing algae issues in the aquarium from our articles section. It addresses how battle the nutrient issues, as algae and cyano feed off the same thing - nitrates and phosphates. You can solve one issue and end up stuck with the other if you address cyano or algae rather than such.

I use ro water only I think i need more flow here is picture kind think not slimeImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420732646.429108.jpg

Thx for reply I am new too hobby and hope I am doing good water change every week 20% I test water often ammonia nitrate nitrite also pH which is little low 8.0 I think I am over feeding also it's a 40 gal with five fish two chromis two black ice clown and royal gamma which doing great any advice I could get will be big help thx

Ok thx I see if that don't help

5 fish and the tank is only one month old. No comments about that? Definitely too much bio load in the tank.

Maybe maybe not...there are several variables in that part. It could most likely be part of things, but one step at a time. Slow and steady wins in this hobby.

I was wondering if that was too many fish what could do lower bio load

I have 125
gal protein skimmer and 350 marine land hob more filtration

Back
Top Bottom