i have bubbles on the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naduri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i bought this new 30 gallon aquarium 2 weeks ago or so, the whole system is new with live plants and everything. i filled it with water and left it the whole day till i got the right temperature, so far so good. then i bought 4 fish, 2 tiger oscars and 2 red parrots. since i put the fish in the tank i always had these bubbles on the surface, its like some one put soap in it but when you open the top hood and blow they go away for a few mins. its been like this for alittle over then 2 weeks. is there any thing i can do?? would it be good if i change the water? can you help here .thanks for now hear from you paul

It could be bubles from the filter or any air stone you have.

To warn you, you are going to get a bit of greif from that stocking list i think. 1 Oscars need at min 50-75 gallon tank, two will outgrow a 30 i'm sure. (I don't know about tiger oscars specifially however)

hello well i know there gonna get big, right now there just little ones ive got a 75 gallon ready for them im just letting them grow first, but the problem is the bubbles you think if i change the water it would be fine since the fish were only there for 2 weeks

The bubbles are probably air bubbles. I would high recommend changing the water. I would suggest 35% at least every week with messy fish like you have in the tank. Was the tank cycled?

il try and change the water atleast 35% and see what happens but it wont do any damage to the fish since theres still new in the tank right?

As long as the temperature is close the fish will thank you for it. They will also grow faster if you keep the water pristine.

thanks for all of your help if i need something else now i know where to go thanks alot

Bubbles on the surface can also mean nitrate problems if you have alot of surface agitation, bubbles formed in a tank with high nitrates will stay and settle.

Welcome to AA!

From your first post, it sounds as if you added water and then fish a day later. Did you cycle the tank?

The oscars will definately need a big tank in the future (preferably a 75 gal for one or a 125 gal for two). A 30 gal is also on the small side for blood parrots.

I had a TON of bubbles in my betta tank and 29 tank at the beginning of cycling. After 4 weeks and a few water changed they are amost gone. NOTE: I do have air stones so that is some bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom