I have yet another question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bulldog12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I think this will be the last one for the night. I have an Achilles Tang that i think has completely destroyed all my coralline algae on my Marshall island live rock. I used to have absolutely beautiful rocks and now all the algae is gone and covered in aips. What can I do to stop my Achilles Tang from doing this???? Besides sell him. I really like this fish, most of the time :) .

Achilles tangs are my all time favorite fish!!!

Tangs are grazing fish, they eat constantly all day long. It doesn't eat the coraline, but it is possible that while trying to get micro algae off the rock it is flaking it off. Keep a constant source of food in the tank for the tank, like nori hung from a veggie clip or rubberbanded to a rock and it will slow down (although not stop) on the rock.

Sounds good I will do that. Do you recommend supplementing your live rock with anything to help in the production of this algae?

Oh yeah and by the way they are my favorite as well. I don't think I could ever sell him. I have had him about a year and a half and he is a healthy beautiful fella.

Thanks reefrunner!!

OH yeah I checked out your tank and it is absolutely gorgeous. I will let you know how the sea slugs do on my problem of aip. Thanks man

B-ionic will help maintain the proper calcium and alkalinity levels for your coralline algae to grow.

I agree with Darin on the B-ionic and also recommend kalkwasser, both are balanced additives that supplament both CA and ALK. One thing to remember, if your not testing for CA and ALK...you shouldn't supplament them.

Also us a quality test kit like Salifert (if you can find them in stock) or Seachem. Low phosphates ill also increase coralline growth. I actually use B-ionic with a kalk drip.

Back
Top Bottom